Clarence Walker Worst

M, b. 28 August 1891, d. 8 August 1949
     Clarence Walker Worst married Helen Glenn Pew. Clarence Walker Worst was born on 28 August 1891. He was the son of Jacob Worst and Harriet McCausland Hughes. Clarence Walker Worst died on 8 August 1949 at age 57.

Isaac Diller Worst

M, b. 29 October 1846, d. 17 April 1909
     Isaac Diller Worst married Esther Jane Walker, daughter of Isaac Walker Jr. and Eliza Ann Brooke. Isaac Diller Worst was born on 29 October 1846. He died on 17 April 1909 at age 62.

Child of Isaac Diller Worst and Esther Jane Walker

Jacob Worst

M, b. 6 July 1869, d. 13 March 1929
     Jacob Worst was also known as Jay. He married Harriet McCausland Hughes. Jacob Worst was born on 6 July 1869. He was the son of Isaac Diller Worst and Esther Jane Walker. Jacob Worst died on 13 March 1929 at San Luis Obispo Co., CA, at age 59.

Child of Jacob Worst and Harriet McCausland Hughes

Eveline D. Worstell1

F, b. March 1850, d. 15 April 1913
     Eveline D. Worstell was born in March 1850 at Jackson Twp. (probably), Monroe Co., OH, per 1900 census. 1910 census shows age 62. 1850 census shows age 4, and a younger sister age 1. Findagrave.com memorial says 1848. Probably it was 1846. DLB 2015.2,1 She married Frederick Dienstbach circa 1866.2 Eveline D. Worstell died on 15 April 1913 at Monroe Co., OH, at age 63. She was buried in April 1913 at Stewart Cemetery, Noble Co., OH, Findagrave #159096455.

Child of Eveline D. Worstell and Frederick Dienstbach

Citations

  1. [S276] 1910 Federal Census, Noble County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T624, Film 1222; FHL #1375235.
  2. [S16] 1900 Federal Census, Noble County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T623, Roll 1311; FHL #1241311.

Mary Jane Worstell1

F, b. May 1837, d. 1914
     Mary Jane Worstell was born in May 1837 at Elk Twp., Monroe Co., OH.1 She was the daughter of Vincent Worstell and Cynthia Hupp. Mary Jane Worstell married Samuel Rhinehart, son of Joseph Rhinehart and Rachel Long, circa 1860, Eleven children born, seven living as of 1900 census.2 Mary Jane Worstell died in 1914.

Children of Mary Jane Worstell and Samuel Rhinehart

Citations

  1. [S11] 1870 Federal Census, Noble County, Ohio. Microfilm, NARA Series M593, Roll 1252 FHL #552751.
  2. [S494] 1900 Federal Census, McLean County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T623, Rolls 321 - 323; FHL #1240321 - 23.
  3. [S14] 1880 Federal Census, Noble County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T9, Roll 1055, FHL #1255055.

Vincent Worstell

M, b. 1810, d. 1879
     Vincent Worstell was born in 1810 at Ohio. He married Cynthia Hupp on 20 November 1834 at Washington Co., OH. Vincent Worstell died in 1879 at Noble Co., OH.

Child of Vincent Worstell and Cynthia Hupp

Ellen I. Worthen

F
     Ellen I. Worthen married Henry Hugh Palmer.

Child of Ellen I. Worthen and Henry Hugh Palmer

Helen F. Worthington

F
     Helen F. Worthington was born at Doylestown, Bucks Co., PA. She married Clinton W. Becker, son of George A. Becker and Sarah Ann Wireman, on 28 December 1915.1

Citations

  1. [S82] Price Genealogy, 343.

Virginia Hopkins Worthington

F, b. 1907, d. 16 March 1969
     Virginia Hopkins Worthington was born in 1907 at Havre de Grace, Harford Co., MD.1 She was the daughter of William Evans Worthington Jr. and Mary Louise Hopkins.1 Virginia Hopkins Worthington married Herbert Frederick Franklin, son of Herbert Auguster Franklin and Caroline (?). Virginia Hopkins Worthington died on 16 March 1969 at Glen Arm, Baltimore Co., MD,

OBITUARY - The Evening Sun; Baltimore, Maryland; Tuesday, March 18, 1969; Page 7 (Newspapers.com)

Virginia Franklin Rites Scheduled Tomorrow
Services for Mrs. Virginia W. Franklin, 61, wife of Herbert F. Franklin, former Southern district Police Court magistrate, will be held at 1 P.M. tomorrow at the McCully Funeral establishment, 13 East Fort avenue Burial will be in Cedar Hill Cemetery.
Mrs. Franklin died Sunday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Mary Louise Jeffries, in Glen Arm after a long illness.

Born in Havre de Grace, the former Virginia Worthington, Mrs. Franklin was graduated from the Samuel Ready School for Girls. Since 1949 she was active in girl scouting in South Baltimore and, until her illness, was active in camping at Mar-lu-ridge, Jefferson, Md.

Mrs. Franklin was active in the Salem Lutheran Church, where she taught church school, served as president of the Southern High School PTA, and was of the South Baltimore General Hospital, where she was well known for her special cakes.

Besides her husband and daughter, she is survived by another daughter, Mrs. Burgess, of White Hall; a brother, Edwin L. Worthington of San Francisco; two sisters, Mrs. Mildred Austin, of Media, Pa., and Mrs. Joan Edith Jenkins, of Phoenix, Md., and seven grandchildren.

She was buried in 1969 at Cedar Hill Cemetery, Brooklyn Park, Anne Arundel Co., MD, Findagrave #114687329.

Child of Virginia Hopkins Worthington and Herbert Frederick Franklin

Citations

  1. [S4761] 1910 Federal Census, Harford County, Maryland. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T624, Roll 565; FHL #1374578.

William Evans Worthington Jr.1

M, b. 3 March 1881, d. after September 1918
     William Evans Worthington Jr. was born on 3 March 1881 at Maryland WW I draft registration.1 He married Mary Louise Hopkins circa 1905, Either the marriage broke up after 1918 when William signed his WW I draft registration, or else William Worthington died between that date and 1920. In the 1920 census (January), Mary Worthington is listed as a boarder, unemployed, with marital status "S", living in Baltimore Ward 11. Their daughters Virginia and Mildred were listed residing in the Samuel Ready School, a girls boarding school, in Baltimore Ward 8.1,2

William Evans Worthington Jr. lived in September 1918 at 642 Adams Street, Havre de Grace, Harford Co., MD; carpenter employed by the Pennsylvania RR, per WW I draft registration, listing his wife as his nearest relative. He died after September 1918 No information found after his 1918 draft registration.

Child of William Evans Worthington Jr. and Mary Louise Hopkins

Citations

  1. [S4761] 1910 Federal Census, Harford County, Maryland. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T624, Roll 565; FHL #1374578.
  2. [S3333] 1920 Federal Census, Baltimore (Independent City), Maryland. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T625, Rolls 656-69; FHL #1820656-69.

Henry Wortman1

M, b. circa 1861
     Henry Wortman was born circa 1861 at Knox Co. (probably), Illinois.1 He was the son of James Wortman and Hannah Cornelius.1

Citations

  1. [S183] 1870 Federal Census, Tazewell County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M593, Roll 283, FHL #545782.

James Wortman

M, b. circa 1811, d. after 20 August 1870
     James Wortman was born circa 1811 at Pennsylvania.1 He married Mary Ann Cornelius, daughter of Isaac Cornelius and Barbara (?), on 31 March 1835 at Muskingum Co., OH, by J. Carnes (Muskingum County Marriage Book II 1818 -1835.) James Wortman married Hannah Cornelius, daughter of Isaac Cornelius and Barbara (?), on 15 October 1840 at Muskingum Co., OH. James Wortman died after 20 August 1870 at Tazewell Co. (probably), IL.

Child of James Wortman and Mary Ann Cornelius

Children of James Wortman and Hannah Cornelius

Citations

  1. [S980] 1850 Federal Census, Coshocton County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 670.
  2. [S183] 1870 Federal Census, Tazewell County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M593, Roll 283, FHL #545782.

Josephine Ann Wortman

F, b. 1 March 1853, d. 14 November 1941
     Josephine Ann Wortman was born on 1 March 1853 at Knox Co. (probably), IL.1 She was the daughter of James Wortman and Hannah Cornelius. Josephine Ann Wortman married Clinton A. Dewey, son of Leroy D. Dewey and Sybil Jane Arnold, on 26 March 1873 at Tazewell Co., IL. Josephine Ann Wortman died on 14 November 1941 at Jefferson Co., MO, at age 88.

Children of Josephine Ann Wortman and Clinton A. Dewey

Citations

  1. [S981] 1860 Federal Census, Knox County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 195; FHL #803195.
  2. [S2437] 1880 Federal Census, Chariton County, Missouri. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T9, Roll 680; FHL #1254680.
  3. [S2439] 1900 Federal Census, Prairie County, Arkansas. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T623, Roll 73; FHL #1240073.

Katherine Lois Wortman

F, b. 16 May 1958, d. 16 May 1958
     Katherine Lois Wortman died on 16 May 1958. She was born on 16 May 1958. She was the daughter of Richard Joseph Wortman and Mary Edith Bloom. Katherine Lois Wortman was buried in May 1958 at St. Mary's Church Cemetery, Kenton, Hardin Co., OH.

Margaret S. or C. Wortman

F, b. circa December 1859
     Margaret S. or C. Wortman was born circa December 1859 at Knox Co. (probably), IL.1,2 She was the daughter of James Wortman and Hannah Cornelius. Margaret S. or C. Wortman married John M. Brewer on 19 March 1878 at Tazewell Co., IL.

Citations

  1. [S981] 1860 Federal Census, Knox County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 195; FHL #803195.
  2. [S183] 1870 Federal Census, Tazewell County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M593, Roll 283, FHL #545782.

Maria J. Wortman1,2

F, b. circa 1838, d. 4 September 1901
     Maria J. Wortman was born circa 1838 at Coshocton or Muskingum Co., OH, or later -- 1870 census shows age 29.1 She was the daughter of James Wortman and Mary Ann Cornelius.1 Maria J. Wortman married Henry R. Streeter on 22 June 1861 at Tazewell Co., IL. Maria J. Wortman lived in August 1870 at Cincinnati Twp., Tazewell Co., IL.3 She lived in June 1880 at Stanton Twp., Miami Co., KS. She lived in June 1900 at Rosedale, Wyandotte Co., KS. She died on 4 September 1901 at Kansas City, Jackson Co., MO. She was buried in September 1901 at Union Cemetery, Kansas City, Jackson Co., MO.

Children of Maria J. Wortman and Henry R. Streeter

Citations

  1. [S980] 1850 Federal Census, Coshocton County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 670.
  2. [S981] 1860 Federal Census, Knox County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 195; FHL #803195.
  3. [S183] 1870 Federal Census, Tazewell County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M593, Roll 283, FHL #545782.
  4. [S2443] 1880 Federal Census, Miami County, Kansas. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T9, Roll 389; FHL #1254389.

Mary Anne Wortman1

F, b. circa 1842
     Mary Anne Wortman was born circa 1842 at Coshocton or Muskingum Co., OH.1,2 She was the daughter of James Wortman and Hannah Cornelius.1

Citations

  1. [S980] 1850 Federal Census, Coshocton County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 670.
  2. [S981] 1860 Federal Census, Knox County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 195; FHL #803195.

Rachael J. Wortman1

F, b. circa 1846
     Rachael J. Wortman was born circa 1846 at Coshocton or Muskingum Co., OH.1,2 She was the daughter of James Wortman and Hannah Cornelius.1

Citations

  1. [S980] 1850 Federal Census, Coshocton County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 670.
  2. [S981] 1860 Federal Census, Knox County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 195; FHL #803195.

Richard Joseph Wortman

M, b. 13 March 1919, d. 13 August 1969
     Richard Joseph Wortman was born on 13 March 1919 at Leipsic, Putnam Co., OH. He was the son of Vincent August Wortman and Kathryn Ensman. Richard Joseph Wortman married Mary Edith Bloom, daughter of Karl Arthur Bloom and Margaret Elizabeth Carrothers, on 2 September 1940. Richard Joseph Wortman died on 13 August 1969 at Kenton, Hardin Co., OH, at age 50.

Child of Richard Joseph Wortman and Mary Edith Bloom

Samuel M. Wortman1

M, b. circa 1848, d. before 1860
     Samuel M. Wortman was born circa 1848 at Coshocton or Muskingum Co., OH.1 He was the son of James Wortman and Hannah Cornelius.1 Samuel M. Wortman died before 1860 Not in the family in the 1860 census.

Citations

  1. [S980] 1850 Federal Census, Coshocton County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 670.

Vincent August Wortman

M
     Vincent August Wortman married Kathryn Ensman.

Child of Vincent August Wortman and Kathryn Ensman

Alice Rebecca Wortz

F, b. 22 July 1857
     Alice Rebecca Wortz was born on 22 July 1857 at Adams Co. (probably), PA. She was the daughter of David Wortz and Rebecca Catherina Gitt.

Anna Elizabeth Wortz

F, b. 10 November 1854, d. 25 April 1886
     Anna Elizabeth Wortz was born on 10 November 1854 at Adams Co. (probably), PA. She was the daughter of David Wortz and Rebecca Catherina Gitt. Anna Elizabeth Wortz died on 25 April 1886 at age 31. She was buried in April 1886 at Mount Olivet Cemetery, Hanover, York Co., PA, Headstone inscription:

"God knew the way grew weary
and took her to her rest."

Charles Augusta Wortz

M, b. 5 October 1848, d. 1861
     Charles Augusta Wortz was born on 5 October 1848 at Adams Co. (probably), PA. He was the son of David Wortz and Rebecca Catherina Gitt. Charles Augusta Wortz was christened on 23 October 1848 at St. Matthew Lutheran Church, Hanover, York Co., PA. He died in 1861 at Adams Co. (probably), PA.

Clara R. Wortz

F, b. 5 January 1852, d. 20 February 1873
     Clara R. Wortz was born on 5 January 1852 at Adams Co. (probably), PA. She was the daughter of David Wortz and Rebecca Catherina Gitt. Clara R. Wortz died on 20 February 1873 at age 21. She was buried in February 1873 at Mount Olivet Cemetery, Hanover, York Co., PA.

David Wortz

M, b. 28 November 1809, d. 27 May 1870
     David Wortz was born on 28 November 1809 at McSherrystown, Adams Co., PA. He was the son of Jacob Wortz and Juliana DeWald. David Wortz married Rebecca Catherina Gitt, daughter of Henry Gitt and Anna Frances Baugher, on 24 December 1841, MARRIAGE ANNOUNCEMENT - The Gettysburg Times, Gettysburg, PA, December 29, 1941

Out OF The Past
(From the files of the Star and Sentinel and The Gettysburg Times)
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO
Married: On Thursday morning, by Professor Baugher, Mr. Daniel D. Gitt, of Berwick Township, to Miss Hannah Wierman, daughter of Isasc Wierman, Esq., of Menallen Township.
On Thursday evening, by the same, Mr. David Wortz, of Conowago Township, to Miss Rebecca Catharine Gitt, daughter of Mr. Henry Gitt, of Berwick Twp.

David Wortz began military service Civil War, Union Army. He died on 27 May 1870 at age 60. He was buried in 1870 at Mount Olivet Cemetery, Hanover, York Co., PA.

Children of David Wortz and Rebecca Catherina Gitt

Etta C. Wortz

F, b. circa 1864
     Etta C. Wortz was born circa 1864 at York Co. (probably), PA. She was the daughter of David Wortz and Rebecca Catherina Gitt.

Henrietta Wortz

F, b. 1 February 1820, d. 29 December 1903
     Note: BOOK: An Authentic History of Lancaster County, 1860. "6 PAPER MILLS"

Of the early history of Paper-making in Lancaster county, we have very little definite information. Fifty years ago, the late Mr. John Triewitz, of this city, had a paper mill at Ephrata. At that time he was manufacturing "pasteboard"' by the old and tedious hand-process. He also manufactured print paper, and in later years supplied Mr. Baer with paper for the Volktfreund. Of course, the paper was all made by the old fashioned hand-process. The mill was subsequently converted into a saw-mill. About thirty years ago B. B. Eshleman was engaged in the manufacture of handmade paper, at what was for many years known as Eshleman's Mill, on the West Branch of the Octoraro, in Bart township. We are unable to fix the exact date of the enterprise. The manufacture, however, was earned on only in a small way, and was not a financial success.
In December 1854, Juo. R. Bitner, C. A. Bitner, Baltzer Lipp, Wm. C. Beecher, and Samuel Beecher purchased the old "Fulling Mill," on the Conestoga, at Eden, from D. Q. Swartz, and commenced remodeling it for a paper mill. They procured a new cylinder paper machine from Nelson Gavitt. of Philadelphia, and had their rag engines constructed at the mill. In the fall of 1855, they commenced operations, Mr. Lipp being Superintendent. The mill was calculated for a production of 1500 Ibs per day, but it was soon found that the power was inadequate for such a result. On the 31st of March 1856, one half of the interest of the Messrs. Bitners was sold to Dr. J. II. Kurtz, and shortly after the concern passed into the hands of Kurtz & Lipp, the Bitners and Beechers withdrawing. In 1859 the enterprise failed, and in 1860, the mill was purchased by Emanuel Shober, who ran it very successfully for six or seven years, his being the first pecuniary success in paper-making in this county. He supplied the deficiency in water-power with a steam engine and thus doubled the production. During most of this time George Ehrhart was foreman of the mill, and John A. Shober business manager.


BOOK: A History of 1894 Eden Road and Local Area, 1985. 8

The earliest known owner of the surrounding area on the East Lampeter side of the Conestoga was David Binkley. His properties were centered upon his grist and saw mill at the present day site of the Eden Paper Mill. In 1789 he built a beautiful stone arch bridge on this site. Subsequently the local Post Office was called Binkley's Bridge. The bridge collapsed in 1857. Its old approaches can still be traced.
In 1808 David Binkley sold a 130 acre "plantation" to Abram Zook. This land included the site where two mills were later constructed and much of the surrounding land north toward the New Holland Pike. The deed recognized the existence of water power on the property, and it included water rights ("the right to go through and over the lands of Christian Rohr to repair the dam"). But the deed contained a special clause prohibiting the construction of a grist or saw mill. Binkley undoubtedly inserted this clause to prevent competition with his own grist and saw mill.
By 1815 Abram Zook had built two mills. In 1818 Joseph Zook inherited the property from his father. Sometime before 1834, the Zooks sold the two mills to Andrew Swartz, retaining most of their farm, however. Their dwelling is shown on maps in a location which is very likely the present day Ahl's house. This Zook family is part of the clan after which Zook's Corner is named.
For a time, Andrew Swartz ran the two mills as a "woolen and fulling mill and a card manufactory." The card manufactory was the downstream building and it got its power by means of a mechanical linkage from the upstream building. In 1834 Swartz sold the downstream building to Israel Groff along with rights to continue using the mechanical linkage. Israel Groff turned the card manufactory into a foundry and machine shop. In 1848 Israel Groff built the Eden Covered Bridge and then sold it to the County. He died in 1853.
In 1853 William C. Beecher, Samuel W. Beecher Jr. and Benjamin Harnish bought the foundry from Israel Groff's estate. The property is described as a "factory, machine shop and foundry, dwelling, stable and other improvements," having 1.5 acres. They undoubtedly modernized the foundry's power supply, because they sold their rights to the adjacent mill's mechanical power in 1855. In 1859 Sam Beecher sold his interest to the other two partners. In 1870 William C. Beecher bought Harnish's interest making him the sole proprietor of the Eden Iron Works which had previously been known as Beecher and Harnish Iron Works. The present building (apartments) probably dates around 1865.
Andrew Swartz continued to operate his woolen mill until around 1854 when he sold it to Emanuel Shober who turned it into a paper mill. The Beecher brothers were part of a venture in 1854 which purchased Binkley's Mill and converted it to a paper mill. That paper mill failed in 1860 and was reorganized in 1865. Emanuel Shober was still operating his paper mill at Eden in 1864. By 1868 Benjamin Harnish, Beecher's partner in the foundry, purchased Shober's mill and converted it to a grist mill. In 1881 he sold the grist mill to Jacob K. Umble. A Samuel Harnish, probably Benjamin Harnish's son, was the foreman at Eden Iron Works. He lived on Eden Road.
The two lots or purparts which make up 1894 Eden Road originally came from a 99 acre tract which was claimed or "warranted" by James Marshal in 1733. Marshal never paid the Penn government for it and so he sold his claim to Robert Patten in 1761. Patten quickly resold it to Sebastian Graffe in 1762. The farm remained intact, but the identities of its owners are unknown until Michael Shallenberger sold the "99 acre tenement or plantation" to Christian and Elizabeth Rohr in 1801. It was passed to son John Rohr in 1835, and to his son Abram in 1848. Both John Rohr and his son Abram sold off parts of the farm around its edges for individual dwellings. These included all of the properties on the south side of Eden Road between Conestoga Creek and New Holland Pike.
The two tracts which make up present day 1894 Eden Road were sold from the Rohr's farm at different times. John Rohr sold the first purpart to Jacob Groff in 1847. Abram Rohr sold the second purpart to the Beechers in 1867.
Abram Rohr continued to live on this farm at least until 1899 when he still owned 70 of the original 99 acres. The "old farm road" which still can be traced from the base of the front steps toward Jones' house undoubtedly accessed Rohr's farm before John Rohr sold this land in 1847. It was then replaced with the "bicycle trail" which was used as principal access to the farm after Abram Rohr moved his dwelling to a site very near the corner of the 1894 Eden Road property. (See Maps.)
Jacob Groff was Henrietta Beecher's first husband, also a "machinist." In addition to the tract bought from John Rohr in 1847, Jacob and Henrietta Groff owned and probably lived in the house which was on the site of the present day pumping station. (It was torn down in 1959.) When Jacob Groff died in 1855, Henrietta assumed ownership. Around 1847 Henrietta Groff married William C. Beecher.
William C. Beecher appears for the first time in Manheim Township tax records in 1849 as a "machinist" and "singleman." His father, Samuel W. Beecher, Sr., owned a nine acre farm near the present day intersection of Eden Road and Euclid Drive. William C. Beecher resided there in 1850. He is repeatedly listed as a machinist throughout the 1850's. He probably worked at Israel Groff's foundry before buying it in 1853.
His brother, Samuel W. Beecher, Jr., was listed in the tax records as a machinist until 1851 when he is listed as "innkeeper." In the 1850 tax records for Manheim Township, in the taverns section, is a note the S. W. Beecher "intended an application in January 1850." This confirms that Samuel W. Beecher, Jr. built the Eden Hotel. Tax records indicate that he sold the hotel in 1854. He had a wife, Mary.
In 1857 W. C. Beecher is listed for the first time as a property owner in Manheim Township. Almost surely the same dwelling in which Jacob and Henrietta Groff lived, Beecher acquired the property (on the pumping station site) through his marriage. William and Henrietta Beecher either lived here or across the road on "purpart one." They sold the property on the pumping station site to George Leaman in 1864.
In 1867 William and Henrietta Beecher purchased the 2nd purpart of "1 acre, 30 perches" from Abram Rohr, which, together with the 1st purpart of "1 acre, 20 perches" already owned by Henrietta Beecher, made the present day configuration of 1894 Eden Road. 1867 tax records confirm this, indicating that W. C. Beecher "bought 2 ½ acres" and listing his occupation as "gentleman." (Although Beecher would already have owned purpart 1 by common law through his marriage, he probably never recorded this information until her purchased purpart 2 and combined the two purparts into one property.)
Purpart 2 was probably the land to the rear of the present day house, used mostly for open space. Purpart 1 contained buildings in 1853 which seem dissimilar to the present layout. (See map.) Whether the Beechers built anew on this property or altered existing buildings is unknown. If the 1853 map is correct, they built a new "mansion house" there sometime between 1853 and 1867, probably some years after their marriage in 1857. There is no doubt, however, that Beecher supplied the ornamental iron work for the house and erected the barn in 1873.
In 1868 Beecher repurchased the little house (on the pumping station site) and the white double house (where Jesse lives.) He bought both of these Emanuel Shober, owner of Shober's Paper Mill. Shober had purchased the white double house from Jacob Groff prior to his death in 1855. He had purchased the other house (on the pumping station site) from George Leaman.
In 1870 Beecher purchased a 6 acre property for $1170. It was located upstream on the Conestoga around its junction with Landis Run. So, by 1870, Beecher owned 4 contiguous properties in Manheim Township.
Several facts suggest that Jacob Groff was related to Israel Groff: 1) their names are the same; 2) Jacob Groff was a machinist, probably working at Israel Groff's foundry; 3) Jacob and Henrietta Groff lived across the road from Israel Groff (see map 1853); 4) deed research indicates that Jacob Groff owned the property listed as "Israel Groff Estate" on 1853 map'97. This was the tract (purpart 1) John Rohr sold to Jacob Groff in 1847.
If they are related, Israel Groff was father-in-law or brother-in-law to Henrietta Beecher, and she was related through both her husbands to the "ironmaster." She was certainly the most enduring individual to live at 1894 Eden Road. She lived in the house on the pumping station site by 1853, or before. She lived in the "mansion house" until her death in 1903. She outlived William C. Beecher who died in 1897, and she passed the property on to her daughter Laura Ranck, who lived there until 1914. In 1899 she sold the house on the pumping station site to Abram Kreider.
Abram Kreider bought 1894 Eden Road from Laura Ranck in 1914. He owned it until 1938 when he lost it along with 8 other properties to the Conestoga National Bank in a mortgage foreclosure. While he owned the property, Kreider made several additions to the buildings. He added the service stairs on the north of the house, he enlarged the dining room on the west, and he installed the old central furnace. On the barn, he added a garage to its south side.
John and Edna McNinch bought the property in order to improve it and resell it. Their improvements were mainly in the nature of painting and cleaning up. According to Harris Arnold, Sr., improvement was much needed because Abram Kreider, in his later years, had taken very poor care of the property, even letting farm animals wander through the house. When the bank came to foreclose, Kreider removed everything of value from the house, including the iron fence that was on top of the front wall. Harris Arnold might well have known. He was the attorney for Conestoga National Bank who handled the foreclosure.
When Arnold bought the property, he installed all new electrical wiring, plumbing, bathrooms and hot water heat. He added a new chimney to the south end of the house for a new colad furnace, as well as the laundry room (now kitchen dining) and the bathroom above. In what was the original large kitchen, he carved out a smaller modern kitchen, powder room, front closet and library. In the barn, he converted stable into a second garage.
Helen Arnold was a prolific gardener, and the Arnolds did a generous amount of landscaping on the property. They relocated and rebuilt the front walk, planted hemlock trees to the north of the house, and added the large patio and terracing on the southwest corner of the house. In 1957, Arnolds added the screened-in porch and modernized the kitchen.


THE GARDENS OF EDEN BED & BREAKFAST

In 2005 the home of Harriet (Wortz) Groff-Beecher went on sale. Mark Vogel had the following comment: "The home is a magnificent estate known as The Gardens of Eden, located in the village of Eden outside Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It currently operates as a bed and breakfast. The date listed by the owner is wrong—it was built before the Civil War, probably in the 1840s. Three generations of my ancestors lived there: Henrietta Wortz lived there with her first husband, Jacob Groff, who died in 1851. She married William C. Beecher. They had a daughter Laura Elmira Beecher who inherited the home. She married Jacob Ranck. They had a daughter Henrietta Bertha Ranck. She was the last generation of my family to live there. Bertha is my dad’s mom.

LISTING DESCRIPTION

GARDENS OF EDEN BED AND BREAKFAST $750,000
Eden exists in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. Experience the grand early Victorian house and the lovely gardens that is the Gardens of Eden Bed and Breakfast.
This hideway tucked into a wooded glen on the banks of the Conestoga river was built c.1867 by a wealthy local ironmaster. Constructed of brick, with elaborate use of ironwork trim, the house blends elements of Federal and early Victorian styles. The 3.5 acre site overlooks the Conestoga River with terraced grounds that include wildflowers, perennials, woodsy trails and scores of song birds. The heavily wooded acres are brightened by sweeping areas of naturalized wildflowers, hostas and ferns. Perennial beds and herb gardens add to the beauty and fragrance of the landscape.
Inside and out, this small bed and breakfast is delightful with beautiful gardens, a river view and a beautifully restored home filled with heirlooms. The main house has 3 guest rooms and one owner bedroom and 4.5 baths. The restored kitchen has working bake ovens in the walk-in fireplace. During warm weather, breakfast is served on the screened porch overlooking the falls. The private guest cottage in the restored summer kitchen provides a sitting room with a working fireplace, dining area, and kitchen facilities downstairs; and a bedroom and bath upstairs. The bank barn has a 2 car garage and additional off street parking for 9 cars.

Henrietta Wortz was born on 1 February 1820 at York Co., PA. She was the daughter of Jacob Wortz and Juliana DeWald. Henrietta Wortz married Jacob W. Groff, son of John Groff and Magdalena Wenger, on 23 June 1846. Henrietta Wortz married William C. Beecher, son of Samuel Bücher and Eleanor (?), after 1851. Henrietta Wortz died on 29 December 1903 at Manheim Twp., Lancaster Co., PA, at age 83 OBITUARY:

Death of Mrs. Henrietta Beecher
Mrs. Henrietta Beecher, widow of William Beecher, formerly of Eden, died on Tuesday evening at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Bertha Conley, of Philadelphia. Her illness was of short duration, and her death was due to pleuro-pneumonia.
Mrs. Beecher was a Miss Wertz [Wortz] before marriage, and although in her eighty-fourth year, was remarkable active and well preserved. She was twice married, and for years was a resident of Eden, this county, in which vicinity she was widely known and universally esteemed. She was a devout member of Trinity Lutheran Church. Her surviving children are Mrs. Conley, of Philadelphia; Mrs. Jacob Ranck, Cedar Lane; and Lewis Groff, residing in the West. A twin sister, Mrs. Louisa Forney, of Hanover, also survives. The funeral will be held in Lancaster, but the arrangements have not yet been made.

She was buried in January 1904 at Lancaster City Cemetery, Lancaster, Lancaster Co., PA.

Children of Henrietta Wortz and Jacob W. Groff

Children of Henrietta Wortz and William C. Beecher

Henry Jacob Wortz

M, b. 1 February 1843, d. 8 January 1922
     Henry Jacob Wortz was born on 1 February 1843 at Adams Co. (probably), PA. He was the son of David Wortz and Rebecca Catherina Gitt. Henry Jacob Wortz began military service Civil War, Union Army, Company B., 138th Pennsylvania Infantry. He died on 8 January 1922 at Philadelphia Co., PA, at age 78. He was buried in January 1922 at Mount Olivet Cemetery, Hanover, York Co., PA.

Hermeon Blanche Wortz

F, b. 18 December 1861, d. 4 June 1926
     Hermeon Blanche Wortz was born on 18 December 1861 at Hanover, York Co., PA. She was the daughter of David Wortz and Rebecca Catherina Gitt. Hermeon Blanche Wortz married Washington Adam Millard Little, son of William Brown Little and Margaret Nace, circa 1885. Hermeon Blanche Wortz died on 4 June 1926 at York Co., PA, at age 64. She was buried in June 1926 at Mount Olivet Cemetery, Hanover, York Co., PA.

Children of Hermeon Blanche Wortz and Washington Adam Millard Little