Jacob Follis Wood

M, b. after 1822
     Jacob Follis Wood was born after 1822 at Virginia. He was the son of William Fallis Wood and Barbara Brumbach.

Jessie Kemp Fair Wood1

F, b. 14 September 1888, d. 17 April 1944
     Jessie Kemp Fair Wood was born on 14 September 1888 at Newton Co., MO.1 She was the daughter of George Wood and Margaret McCowan.1 Jessie Kemp Fair Wood married George Isaac Hoover, son of Philip Hoover and Lucy W. Godman, on 22 June 1910 at Newton Co., MO. Jessie Kemp Fair Wood died on 17 April 1944 at Neosho, Newton Co., MO, at age 55.

Children of Jessie Kemp Fair Wood and George Isaac Hoover


  1. [S1635] 1900 Federal Census, Newton County, Missouri. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T623, Rolls 877-78; FHL #1240877-78.
  2. [S3387] 1920 Federal Census, Newton County, Missouri. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T625, Roll 937.
  3. [S3390] 1930 Federal Census, Newton County, Missouri. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T626, Roll 1214; FHL #2340949.

John Wood1

     John Wood married Jennie Beatty.

Child of John Wood and Jennie Beatty


  1. [S82] Price Genealogy, p.33.

John H. Wood

M, b. 21 September 1835, d. 19 December 1906
     John H. Wood was born on 21 September 1835 at Canada. He married Mary Ann McDonald. John H. Wood died on 19 December 1906 at Chicago, Cook Co., IL, at age 71

Obituary -- (Findagrave.com):

The name of Wood is one of the best known and most highly honored at the Union Stock Yards, where many bearers of the patronymic have not only achieved financial success, but
have also built up enviable reputations for clearheadedness, sound judgment and sterling moral worth. Among the largest and most prosperous firms at the “Yards,” for many years, has been that of Wood Brothers, of which Mr. John H. Wood was one of the organizers, and for many years a member.

Both his parents, Andrew and Barbara (McPherson) Wood, were of Scotch nativity, while he himself was born in Embro, Oxford County, Canada, on September 21, 1835. At the age of fourteen years he resolved to begin life’s battle for himself, and, leaving his father’s house, for three months he drove stage on a route of twenty-five miles. He soon perceived, however, that this employment offered little promise for the future, and determined to learn a trade.
Going to Brantford, Canada, he served an apprenticeship of three years in carriage-trimming. For a year thereafter he worked as journeyman for the house which he had served as an apprentice, his skill and fidelity commanding the full confidence of his employers.

From Brantford he went to Guelph, and after a short residence there crossed the boundary, and came to what Canadians are fond of designating as “the States,” seeking employment. At that time the prevailing high wages had overstocked the labor market, and after traveling from Cincinnati to New Orleans, and failing to secure work at his trade, he wheeled coal for a time on the docks at New Orleans for two dollars and fifty cents per day, his fellow-laborers being negro slaves.

From New Orleans he went to Medina, N. Y., where he bought an unfinished livery stable and carriage shop, the material for which, with the pluck and enterprise of a true Chicagoan, he shipped to Chicago. From 1859 until 1861 he conducted a large stable at the corner of Kinzie Street and LaSalle Avenue, where it was his custom to furnish conveyances for such magnates as S. W. Allerton, W. M. Til-
den and Peter Nottingham, on their early morning trips to the Stock Yards. In 1861 he disposed of his livery business, to enter the employ of W. M. Tilden as a buyer of hogs at the Fort Wayne Yards, retaining that position for four years.

He then entered upon the live-stock commission business for himself, and from this beginning ultimately developed the great house of Wood Brothers. In 1880 he withdrew from the firm, preferring to carry on business alone.

Mr. Wood’s domestic life has been exceptionally happy. It was on January 15, 1856, that e married Mary McDonald, at Brantford, Canada, who became the mother of his eight children. Of this family only four are living: James, William, John E. and Hazel Viola, who became Mrs. J. F. Kirkendall, July 3, 1898. Mr. Wood is a cordial host, and his pleasant home is always a center for refined gatherings. Generous to a fault towards his friends, he is liberal to the poor and a generous contributor to both public and private charities. An earnest advocate of temperance, the Women’s Christian Temperance Union and their numerous reform clubs, find in him a zealous and liberal supporter.

He was buried in December 1906 at Rosehill Cemetery and Mausoleum, Chicago, Cook Co., IL, Findagrave #148198879.

Child of John H. Wood and Mary Ann McDonald

Julia G. Wood1

F, b. circa 1832, d. 1914
     Julia G. Wood was born circa 1832 at Kentucky.1 She married Dr. Henry Clarkson Morgan.1 Julia G. Wood died in 1914.

Child of Julia G. Wood and Dr. Henry Clarkson Morgan


  1. [S3418] 1860 Federal Census, Mason County, Kentucky. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 386; FHL #803386.

Juliette Wood1

F, b. 27 June 1818, d. 25 May 1896
     Juliette Wood was born on 27 June 1818 at Connecticut.1 She married Dr. Seth Lee Childs on 23 March 1836. Juliette Wood died on 25 May 1896 at East Hartford, Hartford Co., CT, at age 77. She was buried in May 1896 at Center Cemetery, East Hartford, Hartford Co., CT, Findagrave #144538468.

Child of Juliette Wood and Dr. Seth Lee Childs


  1. [S2513] 1870 Federal Census, Hartford County, Connecticut. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M593, Roll 103; FHL #545602.

Laura Frances Wood

F, b. 1 March 1924, d. 10 January 1994
     Laura Frances Wood was born on 1 March 1924 at Longview, Gregg Co., TX. She married Walter Columbus Davis Jr. Laura Frances Wood died on 10 January 1994 at age 69.

Lucy Fay Wood

F, b. circa June 1918
     Lucy Fay Wood was born circa June 1918 at Texas. She was the daughter of Mack Claud Wood and Nora H. Payne.

Lydia Wood

F, b. circa 1788
     Lydia Wood married Jacob Gregory. Lydia Wood was born circa 1788.

Child of Lydia Wood and Jacob Gregory

Mack Claud Wood

M, b. 4 December 1876, d. 15 October 1953
     Mack Claud Wood was born on 4 December 1876 at Tennessee. He was the son of Richard Wood and Louella Neuman. Mack Claud Wood married Nora H. Payne, daughter of Mannon Lot Payne and Martha Jane Payne, circa 1901. Mack Claud Wood died on 15 October 1953 at Dallas Co., TX, at age 76 OBITUARY - Dallas, Texas Morning News; October 17, 1953; Part III; Page: 4; (GenealogyBank.com):

Mack Claude, residence 711 Singleton, Irving, died local hospital Thursday. Survived by wife, Mrs. Nora Wood; daughters, Mrs. Roy Henson, Mrs. Frank Smalley, Mrs. Fay Rittonhaus, Mrs. Ann Reason, all of Dallas; sons, W. T. Wood, Garland; Erlin W. Wood, Hoard L. Wood of Irving; brothers, W. D. Wood, Irving, Wade and Ed Wood of Dallas. Services 2:30 p.m. Saturday. Rev. Leonard Mansen officiating. Interment Park Grove Park, Irving.

He was buried in October 1953 at Oak Grove Memorial Gardens, Irving, Dallas Co., TX.

Children of Mack Claud Wood and Nora H. Payne

Magdalena Wood1

F, b. 1716
     Magdalena Wood was born in 1716 at Cherry Grove, Rockbridge Co., VA. She was the daughter of Michael Wood and Mary Campbell. Magdalena Wood married John McDowell, son of Ephraim McDowell and Margaret Irvine, circa 1734. Magdalena Wood died at Rockbridge Co., VA.

Child of Magdalena Wood

Children of Magdalena Wood and John McDowell


  1. [S20] Joseph Sullivant, A Genealogy and Family Memorial, 321.

Martha J. Wood1

F, b. July 1867
     Martha J. Wood was born in July 1867 at Indiana.1 She married Jacob Roush, son of Henry Roush and Rachel Wilkin, circa 1888 at Pratt Co. (probably), KS.

Children of Martha J. Wood and Jacob Roush


  1. [S233] 1900 Federal Census, Kingman County, Kansas. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T623, Roll 484; FHL #1240484.
  2. [S2046] Microfilm Image, Haynesville Twp., p.20, Family 3, 1895 State Census, Pratt County, Kansas, from Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925 (online at ancestry.com).
  3. [S2047] 1910 Federal Census, Lewis County, Washington. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T624, Roll 1666; FHL #1375679.

Martin Vanburen Wood

M, b. circa 1839
     Martin Vanburen Wood was born circa 1839 at Tennessee. He married Mahulda Haney, daughter of Ezekiel Haney and Susannah Cochran, on 7 March 1863 at Jefferson Co., IL.

Mary E. Wood1

     Mary E. Wood was the daughter of Gen. Allen Wood.1 Mary E. Wood married William B. Long.1

Child of Mary E. Wood and William B. Long


  1. [S82] Price Genealogy, 574.

Mary Elizabeth Wood

F, b. after 1822
     Mary Elizabeth Wood was born after 1822 at Virginia. She was the daughter of William Fallis Wood and Barbara Brumbach.

Mask A. Wood1

F, b. circa 1906
     Mask A. Wood was born circa 1906 at West Virginia.1 She married Garnett Nutter Wendell, son of Robert H. Wendell and Frances B. Stinnett, circa 1923.1


  1. [S2735] 1930 Federal Census, Kanawha County, West Virginia. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T626, Roll 2537; FHL #2342271.

Michael Wood

     Michael Wood married Mary Campbell.

Child of Michael Wood and Mary Campbell

Nancy Wood1

F, b. circa 1823, d. before June 1900
     Nancy Wood was born circa 1823 at Pennsylvania.1 She married Elliott Roush, son of George Roush and Mary Colvin, on 25 February 1840 at Highland Co., OH, Ceremony by Israel Rice, J.P. Nancy Wood died before June 1900 at Paulding Co., OH.

Children of Nancy Wood and Elliott Roush


  1. [S232] 1860 Federal Census, Highland County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 987; FHL #803987.
  2. [S584] 1850 Federal Census, Highland County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 694.
  3. [S3351] 1870 Federal Census, Preble County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M593, Roll 1259; FHL #552758.

Neva M. Wood

F, b. 4 November 1930, d. 10 September 2017
     Neva M. Wood was born on 4 November 1930 at Dakota Co., NE; daughter of William G. and Lessie D. (Carson) Wood. She lived on 13 April 1940 at South Sioux City, Dakota Co., NE.1 She married John Edward Law, son of Edward Cardinal Law and Margia Evelyn Moore, on 4 April 1950 at King Co., WA; ceremony by Rev. Stephen Holeman. Neva M. Wood died on 10 September 2017 at Bremerton, Kitsap Co., WA, at age 86

Obituary – Kitsap Sun, Bremerton, Washington; Tuesday, 26 SEP 2017, page 4 (Newspapers.com):

Neva M. Law
Bremerton, WA
NOV. 4, 1930 TO SEPT. 10, 2017

Neva M. Law, Bremerton resident and wife of former Bremerton City Council member John Law, passed away Sept. 10, 2017 after a short illness. She was born Neva Wood in Nebraska and raised in Auburn, Washington. Neva graduated from Auburn High School and married John Law in 1950. They lived in California while John served in the military and moved to Bremerton in 1955.

Neva was a member of the U.S. Navy League and volunteered with the Naval Museum and the Parent Teacher Association. She and John enjoyed 62 years of marriage together and loved traveling well into their retirement.

She is survived by her children, including: Jackie (Robert) Fojtik; grandchildren, including Keri (David) Fojtik Morgan and Mark Fojtik; and great-grandchildren: Olivia and Jax Morgan.

At her request, no services are planned.


  1. [S5647] 1940 Federal Census, Dakota County, Nebraska. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T627, Roll 2243.

Nora Kathryn Wood

F, b. circa 1907
     Nora Kathryn Wood was born circa 1907 at Dallas Co. (probably), TX. She was the daughter of Mack Claud Wood and Nora H. Payne. Nora Kathryn Wood married Roy Cecil Henson.

Otis James Wood

M, b. January 1898
     Otis James Wood was born in January 1898 at Johnson Co., TX.1 He was the son of W. A. Wood and Sophia Susan Windell.


  1. [S634] 1900 Federal Census, Johnson County, Texas. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T623, Roll 1649; FHL #1241649.

Philaura Wood

F, b. 6 December 1885, d. 26 September 1975
     Note: Birth cert for baby born 27 OCT 1909, Mt. Carroll. Philaura Wood was born on 6 December 1885 at Mt. Carroll, Carroll Co., IL. She married Clarence M. Fulrath, son of Adam Fulrath and Hannah Smith, circa 1909. Philaura Wood died on 26 September 1975 at Morrison, Whiteside Co., IL, at age 89. She was buried in September 1975 at Oak Hill Cemetery, Mt. Carroll, Carroll Co., IL.

Child of Philaura Wood and Clarence M. Fulrath

Rachel Wood

F, b. circa 1821
     Rachel Wood was born circa 1821 at Virginia.1 She married Absolom House, son of Abraham House and Judith Fitzwater, circa 1839.

Children of Rachel Wood and Absolom House


  1. [S1554] 1850 Federal Census, Barbour County, Virginia. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 935.

Rachel C. Wood1

F, b. January 1870
     Rachel C. Wood was born in January 1870 at Swan Twp., Taney Co., MO.1 She was the daughter of Thomas M. Wood and Joan Leathers.1


  1. [S3963] 1870 Federal Census, Taney County, Missouri. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M593, Roll 823; FHL #552322.

Rebecca Wood

     Rebecca Wood married James Pigg.

Child of Rebecca Wood and James Pigg

Richard Wood

     Richard Wood married Louella Neuman on 13 September 1870 at Van Buren Co., TN.

Child of Richard Wood and Louella Neuman

Robert Wood

M, d. 3 May 1987
     Robert Wood died on 3 May 1987.

Robert Wood

M, b. 23 August 1802, d. 5 April 1871
     Robert Wood was born on 23 August 1802. He married Jane Finley Peebles, daughter of John Peebles and Margaret Rodgers, on 16 May 1827. Robert Wood died on 5 April 1871 at age 68.

Child of Robert Wood and Jane Finley Peebles

Dr. Robert Crooke Wood

M, b. 23 September 1799, d. 28 March 1869
     Dr. Robert Crooke Wood was born on 23 September 1799 at Newport Co., RI. He married Ann Mackall Taylor, daughter of Gen. Zachary Taylor and Margaret Mackall Smith, on 20 September 1829 at Ft. Crawford, Prairie du Chien, WI. Dr. Robert Crooke Wood died on 28 March 1869 at New York City (Manhattan), New York Co., NY, at age 69

Biographical sketch -- (Findagrave.com):

Strong connections to the Civil War; Trained as a surgeon in the Minnesota frontier; Eventually advanced to Brigidier General in the Union Army (Assistant Surgeon General) by the end of the Civil War; Married Anne Mackall TAYLOR in 1829 who was the daughter of Zachary TAYLOR who eventually became the President of the United States; Also via this marriage, it made him the Brother-in-Law of Jefferson Davis who was eventually the President of the Confederacy; He also fathered two sons (John Taylor WOOD and Robert Crooke WOOD Jr.)who were both officers in the Confederate Army and Navy. Grave may be unmarked; Source: Lockport Union Sun & Journal (Lockport, Niagara County, NY) dated June 7, 201192
Dan Bagelman



Robert Crooke Wood (September 1800-March 28, 1869) Brevet Brigadier General, U. S. Army, was born in Newport, Rhode Island, one of six children of John and Rebecca Wood both of English ancestry. He passed his childhood and youth in Newport where his early education was obtained in private schools and by private tutors. Deciding early upon a career in medicine, he began the study under a Dr. Waring in South Car­ olina. With this start he went to New York City and entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, from which he obtained the degree of M.D., with the class of 1821. Following graduation he practiced medicine at Utica, N. Y., until on May 28, 1825, he obtained the appointment as assistant surgeon in the United States Army, from the State of Rhode Island. He joined the service at Detroit Barracks, Michigan, but after four months was transferred to Fort Snelling, Minnesota, where he served until May 1833. While at this station, in 1829, he married Ann Mack­ all Taylor, eldest daughter of Lieutenant Colonel Zachary Taylor of the First Infantry, at that time commandant of the post. Shortly afterward Lieutenant Jefferson Davis married Knox Taylor, another daughter of their commanding officer. By these marriages Wood became later not only the son-in-law of a Presi­ dent of the United States but a brother-in-law of the President of the Confederacy. With troops from Fort Snelling, Wood served during the latter part of the campaign against the Sac and Fox Indians in 1832 and was present at the fight at Bad Axe River where the Indians were defeated and which resulted in the surrender of Black Hawk, the Sac chieftain.
In May 1833 he was transferred to duty at Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, also garrisoned by the - First Inf­antry. While at this post he was promoted,' on July 4, 1836, to the grade of major and surgeon. When the First Infantry was ordered to duty in Florida in July 1837 Wood accompanied the regiment. After, a stop at Jefferson Barracks, 'Missouri, until October, the regiment took station at Fort Brooks on the Ockla­waha river in Florida. Wood was with the regiment at the bat­tle of Okeechobee on December 25, 1837, and with it saw practic­ally continuous field service against the elusive Seminoles until May 1839, when a truce was affected, only to be broken after a few months. A warfare without results was still in progress when, in May 1840, Wood was relieved from Florida duty and transferred to Buffalo Barracks, N. Y. He served here with units of the Fifth Infantry until August 1845, when he was ordered to accompany that regiment to the Mexican border. With the regiment he arrived at Corpus Christi, Texas, in October. After a winter spent here, the regiment as a part of the army of General Zachary Taylor began an advance to the Rio Grande in March 1846 and went into camp on that river opposite Matamoras in Mexico. The bombardment of that camp from across the river on May 6 was followed by the battle of Palo Alto on May 8 and the battle of Resaca de la Palma on the following day. On May 13 President Polk issued a proclamation that a state of war with Mexico existed.
The casualties in these engagements made necessary the es­ tablishment of a general hospital and to Wood was given the task of organizing such a hospital at Point Isabel, the army base on the coast near the mouth of the river. By clearing out some space in a quartermaster storehouse and erecting hospital tents, accommodations were provided for something more than one hundred wounded in the fighting up the river and of the seriously ill of the command. He remained in charge of this hospital during the campaign which ended with the capture of Monterey, and in March 1847 when the bulk of General Taylor's army was trans­ ferred to the army of General Scott at Lobos Island preparatory to the investment of Vera Cruz, he was sent to duty at New Orleans Barracks, Louisiana. Here were being transferred the disabled from Vera Cruz, until, with the close of the war and the evacuation of the Mexican hospitals, the hospital facilities were rapidly becoming inadequate. Wood was directed to conduct a survey of the civilian hospital accommodations in New Orleans and Baton Rouge and to make recommendations for new hospital facilities. As a result a temporary hospital was opened on Green
wood Island at East Pascagoula, Mississippi, while a new hos­pital was being constructed at New Orleans Barracks.
In May 1848 Wood was transferred to Fort McHenry in Baltimore, Maryland, where he served for the following six years. When in 1853 President Pierce began his administration, Jeffer­son Davis was appointed Secretary of War, serving thus until 1857. It is not unlikely due to this circumstance that in Nov­ ember 1854 Wood was detailed to duty the office of Surgeon General Lawson in Washington. Possessed of high intelligence and industry he became an important factor in the office during the remainder of General Lawson's administration and during the last months of the latter's life he was in charge of the office. In addition he was active in the social and civic life of Washing­ ton and made many close friends among those of influence in the political world. With the death of General Lawson in May 1861, Wood was an active candidate for the succession. With his ex­perience as assistant to the last incumbent and his position as fourth ranking officer in the corps he was regarded as the logical choice for the vacant post and his candidacy had much influential backing. If General Lawson's death had taken place a few months earlier there can be little doubt that Wood would have been the next surgeon general. But a new political party had just come into power in Washington and new influences were at work, and the recently inaugurated President Lincoln appointed to the place Surgeon Clement A. Finley, the senior officer of the corps. The new surgeon general retained Wood as his assistant and all evidence agrees that he gave loyal and generous support to the policies of his new chief. When General Finley's difficul­ties with Secretary Stanton and the Sanitary Commission cul­minated in his relief from the office in March 1862, Wood was appointed acting surgeon general.

With the retirement of General Finley on April 14, 1862, Wood was again a candidate for the vacancy, one among many. Surgeon Richard S. Satterlee, senior in the corps, was strongly supported and Secretary Stanton was said to have a candidate of his choice from the civilian profession. In the end the influence of the Sanitary Commission prevailed and Surgeon William A. Hammond was appointed.

By an act of Congress of April 16, 1862 (12 Stat. 378) , the medical department was reorganized, with a provision giving the surgeon general the rank of a brigadier general and another for an assistant surgeon general and a medical inspector, each with the grade of colonel. Wood, having failed of appointment to the higher office, sought of Secretary Stanton the place of assistant. The choice was left to General Hammond, who ac­ quiesced in the appointment of Wood. Secretary Stanton, in giving his approval to the choice, questioned whether Wood could give wholehearted loyalty to his chief under the circumstances, but General Hammond thought that he could and would. Ap­ parently he shortly changed his mind, for within three months after he took over the office on April 25, 1862, Wood was trans­ ferred to St. Louis, Missouri, in charge of medical affairs in the Department of the West. In October 1863, the office was moved to Louisville, Kentucky, where he served out the war. Though separated from the Washington office, Wood retained his place as assistant surgeon general until October 1865. He was given the brevets of lieutenant colonel, colonel and brigadier general on March 13, 1865 for gallant and meritorious service during the war.

Following the end of hostilities he was transferred to duty at Fort Adams at Newport, R. I., his birthplace. He served here for two years, until September 1867, when we was ordered to New York City for board duty in connection with the retirement of disabled officers. He himself appeared before this board and was retired in February 1869, a month before his death in New York city on March 28 from pneumonia in his sixty-ninth year. His funeral was from the Church of the Transfiguration on Fifth Avenue. His wife, with two sons and two daughters, survived him.

(S. W. Francis in Mea. and Surg. Reporter, Phila., 1869, xx. Mea. Dept. of U. S. Army, 1775-1873, H. E. Brown, Wash., 1873. Mil. Records of Civilian Appointments, U. S• .11.rmy, G. V. Henry, N. Y., 1873. N. Y. Herald, March 29, 1869.)

James M. Phalen, Colonel, U. S. Army, Retired.

He was buried in 1869 at Cold Spring Cemetery, Lockport, Niagara Co., NY, Findagrave #71161491.

Robert Leonard Wood

M, b. 13 December 1925, d. 1988
     Robert Leonard Wood was born on 13 December 1925 at Xenia, Greene Co., OH. He was the son of Cleaphos Bert Wood and Maxine Virginia Gabbert. Robert Leonard Wood began military service WW II service, US Marine Corps, PVT. Robert is listed in the U.S., Navy Casualties Books, 1776-1941, Volume Title: Combat Naval Casualties, World War II, (MT-WY), Ohio, page 109, with wife Mrs. Rosemary Wood, 21 Dayton Ave., Xenia. (Ancestry.com). He married Rosemary Chic on 12 September 1942 at Ross Co., OH. Robert Leonard Wood and Rosemary Chic were divorced before May 1960. Robert Leonard Wood died in 1988 at Arizona.
Note: Appears to have had three or four marriages, with children in most of them.