John Snapp Broyles

M, b. circa 1844
     John Snapp Broyles was born circa 1844 at Washington Co., TN. He was the son of George Jones Broyles and Casandra Elvira Snapp.

Keziah Elizabeth Broyles

F, b. May 1847, d. 11 February 1934
     Keziah Elizabeth Broyles was born in May 1847 at Washington Co., TN.1 She was the daughter of Jesse Broyles and Catherine Painter.2 Keziah Elizabeth Broyles married Rev. William David Copp, son of George Washington Copp and Catherine Anna Wilson, on 22 April 1868. Keziah Elizabeth Broyles died on 11 February 1934 at Johnson City, Washington Co., TN, at age 86.

Child of Keziah Elizabeth Broyles and Rev. William David Copp


  1. [S465] 1900 Federal Census, Washington County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T623, Roll 1603; FHL #1241603.
  2. [S467] 1850 Federal Census, Washington County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 898.

Laverne J. Broyles

M, b. 5 March 1927, d. 29 September 1998
     Laverne J. Broyles was born on 5 March 1927 at Missouri.1 He was the son of Robert Andrew Broyles. Laverne J. Broyles died on 29 September 1998 at St. Louis, MO, at age 71 dates per SSDI.


  1. [S2065] 1940 Federal Census, Nodaway County, Missouri. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T627, Roll 2134.

Lloyd Bonser Broyles

M, b. 17 August 1918, d. 24 November 1991
     Lloyd Bonser Broyles was born on 17 August 1918 at Kansas City, Jackson Co., MO. He was the son of Glen Hunt Broyles M.D. and Hazel Marie Bonser. Lloyd Bonser Broyles married Bonnie Jean Finley, daughter of Harry Coleman Finley and Grace Lee Quisenberry, on 11 November 1944. Lloyd Bonser Broyles died on 24 November 1991 at Kansas City, Platte Co., MO, at age 73.

Child of Lloyd Bonser Broyles and Bonnie Jean Finley

  • Broyles b. 19 Mar 1949, d. 19 Mar 1949

Lucile Jackson Broyles

F, b. 5 March 1894, d. 23 April 1984
     Lucile Jackson Broyles was born on 5 March 1894 at Tennessee. She was the daughter of Robert Summerfield Broyles and Ella Mae Crumley. Lucile Jackson Broyles married Archie Millington, son of Frank Millington and Lucy (?). Lucile Jackson Broyles lived on 15 April 1940 at Trumbull, Clay Co., NE, lodging with Robert and Leone Williams. She died on 23 April 1984 at Lincoln, Lancaster Co., NE, at age 90 OBITUARY - Lincoln, Nebraska Star, Tuesday, April 24, 1984

MILLINGTON, Lucile J., 90, 4711 S. 44th St., died Monday. Born Tennessee. Longtime Lincoln and Omaha resident. Retired High School teacher. Former member of Ames Ave. Methodist Church, Omaha. Survivors: daughters, Mrs. Lyle R. (Kathryn) Westerman, Lincoln, Mrs. Edward H. (Doris) Stever, Chadron, Mrs. Arthur E. (Ural) Prevedal, Denver; brother, Eugene H. Broyles, Dexter, Mo; 10 grandchildren and 12 greatgrand children. Graveside service: 1 p.m. Wednesday, Hillcrest Cemetery, Omaha. Roper and Sons Mortuary, 4300 "O" St. Memorials to MS Society.

Child of Lucile Jackson Broyles and Archie Millington


  1. [S2064] 1930 Federal Census, Douglas County, Nebraska. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T626, Roll 1273; FHL #2341008.

Lucinda Broyles

     Lucinda Broyles married Jacob Franklin Broyles circa 1825.

Child of Lucinda Broyles and Jacob Franklin Broyles

Marion Elmer Broyles1

M, b. 31 August 1895, d. 17 April 1943
     Marion Elmer Broyles was born on 31 August 1895 at Greene Co., TN.1 He married Lucy Kate Burgner.1 Marion Elmer Broyles died on 17 April 1943 at Greene Co., TN, at age 47.

Child of Marion Elmer Broyles and Lucy Kate Burgner


  1. [S4086] 1930 Federal Census, Greene County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T626, Roll 2249; FHL # 2341983.

Marion Wilhoit Broyles

M, b. 1 January 1846, d. 5 March 1904
     Marion Wilhoit Broyles was born on 1 January 1846. He married Elizabeth Jane Copp. Marion Wilhoit Broyles died on 5 March 1904 at age 58. He was buried in March 1904 at Philadelphia Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Philadelphia, Washington Co., TN.

Child of Marion Wilhoit Broyles and Elizabeth Jane Copp

Martha Broyles

     Martha Broyles was born at Tennessee. She married James Whitfield Duncan, son of Joseph Duncan and Molly Allison, after 1868.

Mary Broyles

F, b. 1795, d. 1865
     Mary Broyles was born in 1795 at Greene Co., TN. She married Samuel Mauk, son of John Peter Mauck Jr. and Elizabeth Heiser, in 1811. Mary Broyles died in 1865. She was buried in 1865 at Mauk Cemetery, Washington Co., TN, Findagrave #33557685.

Child of Mary Broyles and Samuel Mauk

Mary Louise Broyles

F, b. 28 July 1899, d. 24 February 1923
     Mary Louise Broyles was born on 28 July 1899 at Table Rock, Pawnee Co., NE. She was the daughter of Robert Summerfield Broyles and Ella Mae Crumley. Mary Louise Broyles died on 24 February 1923 at Maryville, Nodaway Co., MO, at age 23. She was buried in February 1923 at Miriam Cemetery, Maryville, Nodaway Co., MO.

Mary Lucinda Broyles

F, b. 26 May 1858, d. 9 June 1957
     Mary Lucinda Broyles was also known as "Mollie".
Note: Mary's brother, Rev. Herbert Broyles, said about her, "Mollie has been quite a Bible student, and until two or three years ago, taught a Bible class in her Church at Knoxville, in spite of her 90's."

Paul Sarrett says that Mary was also known as "Big Mama," and her daughter was called "Little Mama."

She was born on 26 May 1858 at Chucky Valley, Carter Co., TN.1 She was the daughter of Andrew Coffee Broyles and Louisa Ann Eliza Hunt. Mary Lucinda Broyles married Rev. Samuel Henry Ballard, son of Elijah Ballard and Elizabeth Waters, on 20 January 1885 at Chucky Valley, TN, From a letter written by Rev. E. Hubert Broyles to Dorothy DeVault Bicknell dated May 24, 1953:
"Betty and her sister Mollie were married in a double wedding ceremony. Mollie will be 95 next Tuesday the 26th. Not at all well, but still goes around some."

Mary Lucinda Broyles died on 9 June 1957 at Knoxville, Knox Co., TN, at age 99 OBITUARY - The Knoxville News Sentinel, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, June 11, 1957, page 7


Only two weeks after celebrating her 99th birthday, Mrs. Mary Broyles Ballard died at 3 a.m. this morning at her home, 2336 Woodbine Avenue. She was the widow of the late S. H. Ballard.
Mrs. Ballard had recovered from a broken hip, suffered five years ago. She was walking on her own six months after surgery. Mrs Ballard was a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church.
She is survived by her daughter, Mrs. Annie Sarrett, Knoxville; granddaughters Mrs. Jack Joyner, Knoxville; Mrs. J. A. McKay, Fayetteville, N.C., four great-granddaughters, one great-grandson; sister, Mrs. W. R. King, Church Hill, Tenn; brother, Dr. E. H. Broyles, Philadelphia, Pa.
The body is at Mann's where the family will receive friends at 9 p.m. tomorrow.

She was buried in June 1957 at Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox Co., TN. She was member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Child of Mary Lucinda Broyles and Rev. Samuel Henry Ballard


  1. [S1251] 1860 Federal Census, Washington County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 1277; FHL #805277.

Mattie Lou Broyles

F, b. 13 April 1928, d. 4 October 2013
     Mattie Lou Broyles was born on 13 April 1928 at Greene Co., TN.1 She was the daughter of Marion Elmer Broyles and Lucy Kate Burgner.1 Mattie Lou Broyles married William Hawkins Snapp, son of Thodore Bland Snapp and Charlotte Elizabeth Hylton, on 27 May 1944. Mattie Lou Broyles died on 4 October 2013 at Johnson City, Washington Co., TN, at age 85.


  1. [S4086] 1930 Federal Census, Greene County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T626, Roll 2249; FHL # 2341983.

Myrtle Winifred Broyles

F, b. 6 June 1889, d. 16 December 1975
     Myrtle Winifred Broyles was born on 6 June 1889 at Chucky Valley, Carter Co., TN. She was the daughter of Robert Summerfield Broyles and Ella Mae Crumley. Myrtle Winifred Broyles married James Jefferson Turner, son of Joshua J. Turner and C. Elizabeth (?), on 1 June 1915. Myrtle Winifred Broyles died on 16 December 1975 at Placer Co., CA, at age 86.

Child of Myrtle Winifred Broyles and James Jefferson Turner

Robert Andrew Broyles

M, b. 25 February 1903, d. August 1977
     Robert Andrew Broyles was born on 25 February 1903 at Pawnee Co. (probably), NE. He was the son of Robert Summerfield Broyles and Ella Mae Crumley. Occupation: tailor in 1930. Robert Andrew Broyles lived in April 1930 at 222 East Third Street, Ottawa, Franklin Co., KS. He died in August 1977 at Lakewood, Jefferson Co., CO, at age 74. He was buried in 1977 at Miriam Cemetery, Maryville, Nodaway Co., MO.
Note: Robert A. Broyles was already divorced by 4 APR 1930 when the census was taken. Apparently his son Laverne was bron during a very short marriage in the mid-1920s.

Child of Robert Andrew Broyles

Robert Summerfield Broyles

M, b. 26 May 1863, d. 28 May 1942
     Robert Summerfield Broyles was born on 26 May 1863 at Chucky Valley, Carter Co., TN. He was the son of Andrew Coffee Broyles and Louisa Ann Eliza Hunt. Robert Summerfield Broyles married Ella Mae Crumley, daughter of Fleming David Crumley and Maria Woodrow Snodgrass, on 29 August 1886 at Jonesborough, Washington Co., TN. Robert Summerfield Broyles died on 28 May 1942 at Maryville, Nodaway Co., MO, at age 79 OBITUARY - The Maryville Daily Forum, 28 May 1942

Robert Summerfield Broyles, 79 years of age, died at 5:30 o'clock this morning at his home, 521 South Market street. He had been in failing health the past three years and had been confined to his bed since the first of the year.
Mr. Broyles, who was born May 26, 1863, in Washington county, Tenn., the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Andrew C. Broyles, had resided in this city since 1917. For several years he was in charge of a dry cleaning business here.
He was married August 29, 1886, to Miss Ella May Crumley, who died in December, 1936. Mr. Broyles was a member of the Methodist church.
Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Winifred Turner, Sacramento, Calif., and Mrs. Lucile Millington, Trumbull, Neb., three sons, W. S. Broyles, Miami, Okla., Robert A. Broyles, Maryville and E. H. Broyles, Poplar Bluff, Mo., and four grandchildren.
Burial will be in the Miriam Cemetery but other funeral arrangements have not been completed.

He was buried in June 1942 at Miriam Cemetery, Maryville, Nodaway Co., MO.

Children of Robert Summerfield Broyles and Ella Mae Crumley

Sarah Jane Broyles

F, b. 5 November 1847, d. 8 October 1870
     Sarah Jane Broyles was born on 5 November 1847 at Washington Co., TN. She was the daughter of George Jones Broyles and Casandra Elvira Snapp. Sarah Jane Broyles died on 8 October 1870 at age 22.

Saramarie Broyles

F, b. 13 November 1968, d. 5 July 1975
     Saramarie Broyles was born on 13 November 1968 at North Kansas City, Clay Co., MO. She died on 5 July 1975 at North Kansas City, Clay Co., MO, at age 6.

Temperance Wasdon Broyles

F, b. 30 September 1803, d. 6 November 1876
     Temperance Wasdon Broyles was born on 30 September 1803 at Pendleton District, Anderson Co., SC. She married Dr. James Franklin Broyles on 3 November 1825 at Anderson Co., SC. Temperance Wasdon Broyles died on 6 November 1876 at Broylesville, Washington Co., TN, at age 73.

Child of Temperance Wasdon Broyles and Dr. James Franklin Broyles

Walter Hunt Broyles

M, b. 7 June 1888, d. 19 June 1888
     Walter Hunt Broyles was born on 7 June 1888 at Chucky Valley, Carter Co., TN. He was the son of Robert Summerfield Broyles and Ella Mae Crumley. Walter Hunt Broyles died on 19 June 1888 at Chucky Valley, Carter Co., TN.

Watkins Andrew Broyles M.D.

M, b. 25 November 1894, d. 26 August 1988
     Watkins Andrew Broyles M.D. was born on 25 November 1894 at Table Rock, Pawnee Co., NE. He was the son of Dr. Franklin Hunt Broyles and Leila Watkins. Watkins Andrew Broyles M.D. married Ethyl Frances Swan, daughter of Charles Bion Swan and Caroline Amelia Grubb, on 10 July 1917 at Bethany, Harrison Co., MO. Watkins Andrew Broyles M.D. and Ethyl Frances Swan were divorced on 31 July 1947 at Harrison Co., MO. Watkins Andrew Broyles M.D. married Margueretta Frances Paton, daughter of Duncan McLennan Paton and Marguerretta Gladys Burrows, on 4 October 1947 at Bethany, Harrison Co., MO, Prior to her marriage to Watkins Andrew Broyles, Marjorie was married to Percy Valentine Patrick Fralka. Marjorie and Percy had two sons, Gerald David and Daniel Patrick who were later adopted by Watkins.

Watkins Andrew Broyles M.D. died on 26 August 1988 at Bethany, Harrison Co., MO, at age 93 WATKINS FAMILY NEWSLETTER, January 2003

His given name was Watkins.
The story of Watkins A. Broyles came to me by fortunate fate in the way of a Christmas gift from Paul Watkins. In 1981, Watkins Broyles wrote a book called "Soldier, Doctor, Doctor" - a detailed accounting of not only his own life, but of the country which he loved so much. He was in awe, I think, of the progress of this nation in the time span of his life and felt compelled to make a record of life in America as he saw it. He recalls his family's beginnings and their struggles of a hundred years go - the life routine of hard work, long hours, and geographic adventure.
His earliest recollection of his family begins in 1760 at which time a number of his ancestors were in America and served in the
Revolutionary War. Following the war, many moved west to a Welsh settlement in Ohio. His grandfather, David Watkins, born in Radnor,
Ohio on February 26, 1824 and married Elizabeth McGrew on December 24, 1851 in Carrollton, Ohio. Their first child, Arlington, was born in Radnor on August 11, 1854 and they moved to Nebraska in 1857. As the railroad ended in Iowa City, Iowa, they purchased horses, wagons and supplies for the rough journey west across southern Iowa. They reached the bank of the Missouri river after two weeks of hard travel and encamped the first night across from Nebraska City, Nebraska. Three days later, passed through Julian, a small village. They continued on four more miles to the south, eventually settling on a bluff where Watkins' grandfather erected their first home. It was in this house that Watkins' mother Leila was born on October 6, 1861. She had a sister, Cherlena, who came to life on January 17, 1867. Leila also had a younger brother named William, born on September 9, 1869.
Though our story's primary interest is the Watkins connection, Dr. Broyles mentions that his father was able to trace his ancestry
to Henry Devault, a Huguenot, born in France in 1732 and immigrated to America in 1754. They landed in Philadelphia and settled near
Hanover, Pennsylvania serving under Col. William Ross during the Revolution in the 3rd Company of the 6th Battalion York County Militia. This Company later joined forces under General Washington at the Battle of Brandywine.
Becoming a doctor had been a logical progression of events for Watkins, as his father was hired in his younger days to work as a driver for a Dr. Nichols in Brock, Nebraska. It was during this time that he met Leila Watkins and they became sweethearts. He also made the decision to become a doctor. Dr. Nichols told him he could go into his office and read medicine for a year under his supervision. He would be able to use the doctor's library and receive personal instruction. He immediately accepted this generous offer and began studying. When Dr. Nichols became ill and could no longer continue his practice, Watkins' father headed for Kansas City, Missouri with fourteen dollars in his pocket which he had earned painting a house. It was November 1884. He attended Kansas City Medical College, doing his best to stretch what little money he had. He finally received his degree on March 15, 1887. That same year, he returned to Brock to marry Leila Watkins.
Watkins Broyles remembers wonderful times at the farm of his grandparents making mention of various incidents in which he was wounded (though not permanently) by either bees or dogs and finding a particular fascination with a skunk. One time around a fourth of July, he tells of picking gooseberries to which his grandmother gave him a quarter for each quart he picked. When they had saved enough, he and his sister Elizabeth would ride "old Charlie" and the one seated buggy and to go Julian to visit the store with its barrels of all sorts of food and candy. "The store was clean and had no flies though Ralph Nader would have had convulsions if he'd seen it!", Dr. Broyles says. Well, as it turns out, he had decided to spend his earnings on some of the fireworks that were on sale. Shooting off a large Roman candle, waving it above his head, it backfired and cut quite a gash in his lower lip. These incidents turned out to be his first medical experiences, as each recollection is finished by his comments that he not only developed an immunity to bee stings, but did not get rabies, lockjaw, or food poisoning!
Watkins enrolled as a pre-med student at the University of Kansas in Lawrence in fall of 1915. A year later, as fate would have it, President Wilson ordered the mobilization of the National Guard due to the Mexican border disturbance, and Watkins was informed he must report to the armory at once. This was Watkins' first involvement in a war. It was not his last.
Later, the American involvement with the European War resulted in his withdrawal from school as he applied to the ROTC program and reported to Fort Riley in 1917. One June 4, 1918 Watkins traveled across the Atlantic on the Baltic, a troupe ship. The British ship took him to Glasgow first, and he eventually went to Ramsey, La Havre, and Aillianville where he was trained. At his destination of Mandres, he and his battalion continued to the St. Mihiel Offensive in dugouts under the Metz St. Diezier Road. The time of the attack was to be D-Day plus four hours. Many days in the trenches, unspoken determination to survive, and a serious wound to his leg resulted in his being loaded on to a Merchant ship, the U.S.S. Nansemond and he was shipped home. His foreign service was over on March 11, 1919. He was discharged on April 25.
He re-enrolled as a pre-medic at the University of Kansas and June 10, 1924 was presented with his degree of Doctor of Medicine. Dr. Watkins Broyles interned at St. Louis City Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri and opened his private practice on July 21, 1925 in Eagleville, Missouri. His family grew and his practice thrived, though not without struggles.
When World War II came around, Watkins reported to what was to be called the "3rd Auxiliary Surgical Group" for training and on his birthday (November 25, 1942) he was told they would leave for England on the 27th. On December 1st, he and 30,000 other men boarded the Queen Mary to make the trip across. Once in England, he was told they belonged in North Africa. He found himself in a field hospital in North Africa on Easter Sunday, 1943 and by June of that year was ordered to Saveli, Algiers. In 1944, he was ordered back to the States, granted leave and returned to Bethany. Due to his earlier leg injury in WW I, he was restricted to the States where he was placed in the Medical Pool to wait for his assignment. Various assignments took him all over the States including, California, Texas and Arizona. He thrived in the medical field until the late 1970s when he realized his vision was failing. He found his malpractice insurance was costing more than a month's income and he decided to close his office on December 1, 1976.
In closing Watkins' own words say it best. "Over the years I have tried to do my duty as a doctor to my patients, friends, and community - an old fashioned idea. We often hear the expression, 'the good old days' - do we mean what we say? Those days did have some good points; more respect for law and order; less sympathy for criminals; less belief that the government should do everything for you." Well said Watkins, well said.

I received these letters from a collection of Watkins Broyles materials at the U.S. Army Military History Institute, Carlisle, Pennsylvania. (It was noted in the information I received that there are two boxes in the Watkins Broyles collection. Box #1 contains miscellaneous papers during World War II and Box #2 contains miscellaneous letters and papers from 1914-1919.) It is interesting to note that Watkins Broyles was supposed to have been married within about a month of these letters, but he makes no mention of that upcoming event.


Ft. Riley, Kansas
June 12, 1917

Dear Dad:
I received your letter this noon when I got in off a patrol work, and was glad to get it. To day has been awftly hot and is pretty warm yet tonight - however that is the kind of weather we need if it will only continue and I guess we will be getting used to it before long. but it sure makes the moisture roll off a fellow. Say I wish mother would get my bank book out of my box and send it to me as I want to send it to the bank and have it ballanced - or you can send it in for me. be sure you get the one I used this spring. I never got around to leave it before I left Lawrence. I think tho that I drew all I had out. yet I might be wrong. will finish this later on going over to a Picture show now for a little while.
Back and have not much time befor taps & lights out but if I dont get this finished now will do so in the morning - this cant get to you befor Thursday any how.
I expect that Dillon was a little light in his education but there are a lot of fellows here who are a whole lot worse off than Dillon and I think he would have made it O.K.
We have not been paid yet but I rather think we will get it this week tho I cant tell for sure - if we get paid I think I'll have a uniform made for me as a sort of dress up one it will come in handy if I never get a commission.
Speaking of fellows not liking it here - Ive heard little objections my self but you can blow in the coin here if you want to blow it in, You asked about clothes - well Ive spent about $10.00 for clothes at the Q.M. and then I bought me a pair of shoes up town cost me $1.00 - I could not get anything that would fit me at the quarter masters so I blowed my self. They are regular army shoes and cost $2.87 at the Q.M. so you see how they stick us however next month you will pay about $5 for them.
I think I'll go to KC. Sat. and to Lawrence Sunday that is if I can get away but it is rumored that we will not be allowed to leave camp from now on.
How is Mr. Hallock? You sure have made a bunch of trips to see him.
The weather here has been fine this week and I hope that you are having some of these warm days, but it is cloudy and looks like rain this evening.
Tell Many hello for me. I dont think we will have to pay 75 ct for meals for it was probably due to his getting discharge and they charged him for his board.
Now I beleave Ive given you all the news there is for this time but may add a line or two in the morning.
Love to all

P.S. Wed - morning and all OK. Turned cold last night and is cloudy this morning but looks a little like it might clear off - but they must have had a storm near here, Must close now and get this in box so it will be taken to office


Address my letters to Co. 9. after this Wat

Ft. Riley Kan.
June 17, 1917

Dear Dad:
This is Sunday P.M. and Ive been busy all day as they transfered us to our respective orginizations and Im no in Co 9. did not have to move very far about a half a block and Im in a good place as far as the building goes, yet Id prefered to stayed where I was as I was used to it. then Im not exactly certian I'll like it here as the fellows - (original old no 9 men) are from Colorado and I guess they are a rather bum bunch but there are several of our men here and one other K.U. man so Im going to get along all right, In the 1st place tho Im not here for a Colorado bunches pleasure but to get a job so you see Im O.K.
Received the candy and cake and it sure was O.K. and many thanks. I was going to K.C. Sat but no passes were give but I guess I wrote you about that now I believe Ive given you all the news there is for this time so I close Will write a better letter one fo these days but there is no news to write hope you are all well, Ive not found out yet whether I'll get paid or not but if not you will know it pretty quick, love to all, & write soon

LETTER #3 (The following appears to be page two of a letter for which I did not receive page one)

that sure was some way of getting rid of the rats - I suppose old Spot will be watching for a rat every time you start the engine in the barn.
Yes the draft is causing quite a little excitement here and I expect it is else where - our Capt (US) in charge of our Co (Capt Bates) has been promoted and is a major now.
Glad you are finally getting a pipe organ Not that I like them so much. And Mrs Henkle sure should be paid.
We'd like to be there to eat dinner with you my self and Im expecting to in about 3 more weeks -
Now Ive given you all the news I can think of so Im going to close for this time with love to all


NEWSPAPER ARTICLE - Bethany, Missouri Republican Clipper, December 18, 1918

Cheering News from War Department, December, 1918 , Bethany, Harrison, Missouri
As we stated last week, that although Dr. F. H. Broyles had received notice from the War Department that his son Lieut. Watkins Broyles had died of pneumonia, Nov. 7, in France; but as the family had received letters from him written since the armistice was signed, they could only hope there was a mistake on account of the conflicting dates. So great was the rejoicing in Bethany last Saturday when another message came from the war department, stating that the report of Watkins' death was erroneous - that he should have been reported wounded on November 7th.
Before receiving this message, Mrs. Broyles had received an eight page letter from Watkins, written Nov. 23. He said in this letter that his wounds were healing nicely, and he was improving rapidly, and hoped soon to be back with his company. In all, the family received seven letters from Lieut. Broyles last week.
Dr. Broyles also received a letter last week from his other soldier son, Capt. Glenn Broyles, in France, and he too was well and getting along fine.
We all rejoice with Dr. and Mrs. Broyles, the brave little wife, and all the relatives in the good news received, and though this will be for them a lonesome Christmas with both their sons so far away, yet they feel they have much for which to be thankful.
The following were the two messages as received by Dr. Broyles;

Washington, D. C., Dec. 18, 1918
Deeply regret to inform you that it is officially reported that Lieut. Watkins A. Broyles, infantry, died of lobar pneumonia, November 7.
HARRIS, Adj. Gen.

Washington, D. C. Dec. 14, 1918
Lieut. Watkins A. Broyles, infantry, erroneously reported died of lobar pneumonia; now reported severely wounded in action, Nov. 7.
HARRIS, Adj. Gen.

OBITUARY - St. Joseph (Mo.) News-Press/Gazette, 29 Aug 1988

BETHANY, MO. -----Dr. Watkins A. Broyles, M.D., 93, died Friday, Aug. 26, 1988, at his home in Bethany.
Mr. Broyles was born in Table Rock, Neb.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Marge Broyles, on Nov. 26, 1986.
Mr. Broyles had been a physician in Bethany since 1925, and was a member of the First Christian Church of Bethany. He was a Army veteran serving in the Mexican Border War, World War I and World War II.
Surviving: a daughter, Frances Stout, Albuquerque, N.M., three sons, Jerry, Omaha, Neb., Dan, Manhattan, Kan., and W. R., Liberty, Mo., 11 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Services: 1 p.m. Tuesday, First Christian Church, Bethany, Mo. Cremation will follow. Family visitation: after 7 tonight, at the Roberson-Polley Funeral Home, Bethany.

Children of Watkins Andrew Broyles M.D. and Ethyl Frances Swan

Watkins Ramsey Broyles

M, b. 10 June 1921, d. 13 March 1998
     Watkins Ramsey Broyles was born on 10 June 1921 at Bethany, Harrison Co., MO. He was the son of Watkins Andrew Broyles M.D. and Ethyl Frances Swan. Watkins Ramsey Broyles married Winifred Jeanne Bewley, daughter of Winfred Cooper Bewley Jr. and Mabel M. Foster, on 18 December 1946 at Jackson Co., MO. Watkins Ramsey Broyles and Winifred Jeanne Bewley were divorced in February 1957. Watkins Ramsey Broyles died on 13 March 1998 at Liberty, Clay Co., MO, at age 76.

Wayne Lee Broyles

M, b. 31 August 1891, d. 26 November 1981
     Wayne Lee Broyles married Pearl Turner. Wayne Lee Broyles married Jessie (?). Wayne Lee Broyles was born on 31 August 1891 at Jonesborough, Washington Co., TN. He was the son of Robert Summerfield Broyles and Ella Mae Crumley. Wayne Lee Broyles died on 26 November 1981 at Carthage, Jasper Co., MO, at age 90.

William Milton Broyles

M, b. 26 August 1865, d. 20 February 1915
     William Milton Broyles was born on 26 August 1865 at Jonesborough, Washington Co., TN. He was the son of Andrew Coffee Broyles and Louisa Ann Eliza Hunt. William Milton Broyles married Julia B. Clements on 28 November 1900 at St. Louis, MO, no children. William Milton Broyles died on 20 February 1915 at St. Joseph, Buchanan Co., MO, at age 49. He was buried in February 1915 at Sheridan Cemetery, Auburn, Nemaha Co., NE.


M, b. 7 November 1878, d. 7 November 1878
     Broyles died on 7 November 1878 at Chuckey Valley, Washington Co., TN. He was born on 7 November 1878 at Chuckey Valley, Washington Co., TN. He was the son of Andrew Coffee Broyles and Louisa Ann Eliza Hunt.


F, b. 26 July 1904, d. 27 July 1904
     Broyles was born on 26 July 1904 at Table Rock, Pawnee Co., NE. She died on 27 July 1904 at Table Rock, Pawnee Co., NE. She was the daughter of Robert Summerfield Broyles and Ella Mae Crumley.


F, b. 19 March 1949, d. 19 March 1949
     Broyles was born on 19 March 1949. She died on 19 March 1949. She was the daughter of Lloyd Bonser Broyles and Bonnie Jean Finley.

Augusta Brozheit

F, b. 25 December 1884, d. 29 February 1960
     Augusta Brozheit was born on 25 December 1884 at Prussia, Germany.1 She married Otto Mueller. Augusta Brozheit died on 29 February 1960 at Beech Grove, Marion Co., IN, at age 75. She was buried in March 1960 at Washington Park East Cemetery, Indianapolis, Marion Co., IN, Findagrave #68162046.

Child of Augusta Brozheit and Otto Mueller


  1. [S1786] 1920 Federal Census, Marion County, Indiana. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T625, Roll 453.

Madlena Brubacher

F, b. 1663, d. 1698
     Madlena Brubacher was born in 1663 at Canton Bern, Switzerland. She married Christian Stauffer, son of Daniel Stauffer and Barbara Galli. Madlena Brubacher died in 1698 at Gerolsheim, Bad Durkheim, Palatinate, Date not consistent with birth of Susanna Stauffer in 1702, unless Christian had remarried and Susanna was from a second wife.

Children of Madlena Brubacher and Christian Stauffer

Abraham Brubaker1

M, b. 18 October 1818, d. 7 October 1866
     Abraham Brubaker was born on 18 October 1818 at Pennsylvania.1,2 He married Mary Stultz at Adams Co. (probably), OH.1 Abraham Brubaker lived on 24 August 1860 at P.O. Morgan's Fork of Sunfish, Benton Twp., Pke Co., OH, farming.1 He died on 7 October 1866 at age 47.

Children of Abraham Brubaker and Mary Stultz


  1. [S344] 1860 Federal Census, Pike County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M653, Roll 1024; FHL #805024.
  2. [S345] 1850 Federal Census, Adams County, Ohio. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 657.