Milton Henry DeVault

M, b. 10 November 1921, d. 6 September 1951
     Milton Henry DeVault was also known as "Bud". He was born on 10 November 1921 at Syracuse, Onondaga Co., NY. He was the son of David Sullins DeVault and Esther Miller Waldron. Milton Henry DeVault began military service Korean War, U.S. Army, 2nd Infantry Div., 72nd Medium Tank Battallion, Co. C. He died on 6 September 1951 at Korea at age 29 Note from the WWI, WWII and Korean War Casualty Listing:

USMA Class of 1945, First Lieutenant De Vault was a veteran of World War II. In Korea, he was a member of Company C, 72nd Medium Tank Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division. He was Killed in Action while defending his position along the Naktong River near Yongsan, South Korea on September 6, 1950. First Lieutenant De Vault was awarded the Purple Heart, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Korean Presidential Unit Citation and the Republic of Korea War Service Medal.

MAGAZINE ARTICLE - Ladies Home Journal, February 15, 1951

My Son Died in Korea, by Mrs. David S. DeVault
Even when he was a little boy, Bud was a happy child. Everybody liked Bud. The minister said it when he came in after his death -- Bud always had a twinkle in his eye. He made you feel good.
Isn't it odd -- you'd think it would make me feel bad now to think about him, but it doesn't. I like to think about him.
You've heard about brothers who were friends too. Well, David and Bud were more than that. They were close, always close. "Why couldn't it have been me?" David said when he heard about it. "Everybody liked Bud." That was ridiculous, David is needed just as much as Bud was. But it shows you what Bud meant to him -- what he meant to all of us.
Bud was a towhead with blue eyes and a face full of sunshine. Yet he wasn't just happy-go-lucky. He was good. Not goody-goody -- but good. He liked to get his chores done before he went out to play. He did his homework every night. It's old-fashioned to talk about duty nowadays, but Bud had a sense of duty.
Maybe that's why he wanted to go to West Point. I don't know. You talk to your kids when they are young about the basic things -- like duty, and God. But when they grow up, you can't. You just have to feel your way along once they're grown up. Bud said he wanted to go to West Point because it offered him everything he wanted.
We didn't have much money then. After dad became ill, things weren't easy and Bud knew it. He knew an appointment to West Point would help -- he worked his way through one year at the University of Tennessee, though, before it came through. His competitive exams gave him the rank of second alternate -- two boys had to fail before he could get in. He never believed it would happen. He said if they placed higher on the tests than he did, then, of course, they must be brighter and better prepared and they'd make out. They didn't though. Bud wasn't really what you'd call brilliant, but he had something else. He stuck to things. He worked at them until they came out right.
Let me tell you how he graduated from West Point after those two other boys who had pre-West Point training failed. Bud had never had enough high-school math. And he didn't take any in Tennessee. So he got to West point, and maybe you don't know, but they take mathematics seriously. Bud had to go right into an advanced geometry course -- and sink or swim. Well, he worked on it. He worked so hard that his French suffered. In the middle of the semester it looked like he was gong to flunk both of them, and he called me up. "I'm going to resign," he said. "I thought you ought to know." I couldn't imagine it at first. It didn't seem like Bud. Then I thought about how he hated to fail in anything. So I said, all right, it's your life, but I'm going to come down there and talk to you about it before you do anything. I made him promise he'd wait. I took the next train down to West Point. We found out that two flunks would throw him out of school, but that if he had only one failure, he could get back in -- if he could make up the material he missed and pass tests on it. If he worked on his French now and his math later, he could still make it. There is a place he could go and get nothing but math, a school that specialized in helping West Pointers. It would take three months and $375. Bud, I said, you're a lot like me. If you quit now when you're licked, you'll never get over it. You go take that course, and get back in, and then, if you want to resign, you go ahead and resign.
I had to borrow the money, of course. But Bud tutored at Professor Silverman's, living in his house, for his three months, and then he took his tests and passed them. That summer he went to work to make the $375. The following spring I had to ask him, Bud, do you want to resign Now? "Mother," he said, "you knew me better than I knew myself." And when he got his diploma, do you know what he did? He gave it to me. "Here, you earned it," he said.
I remember when he was in Japan with the occupation. He liked Japan, but then he always liked any place he happened to be. But two years is a long time and he wanted to come home, and he wanted the feel of home. He wrote me that there were three things he wanted: a really beautiful set of golf clubs, a red convertible, and a dog.
Well, I knew I'd better let him get the golf clubs, but I put in for a car. They were hard to get then so I went right down when he wrote that. I even told the man it had to be red, but I didn't care what make it was.
That was about a year before he got home. A month before, I called up. No, he was still way down the list. I told them they just had to get me that car or him. I thought I wasn't going to be able to make it. It was 1948 by then, but they were still hard to get. Just a week before, though, the dealer called and he had a car. Said that it was really for someone else but they could wait. Only thing, it was a gray convertible.
He trusted me for the money and I got the car. Joan and I -- That's our youngest, she's only nineteen -- we went down to the station to meet him. I drove so carefully. When Bud saw the car, he acted like a kid. I'll never forget that ride home. He drove it as if it were a tank, and on the wrong side of the road too the way they do in Japan. The next day we got the dog -- a German shepherd, like one he had when he was a boy.
When he went back west, he drove out in that car, with the dog beside him. It was the last time I ever saw him. He wanted to get back home again, he planned it time and time again, but then there was Hawaii, and Alaska, and then just as he was starting his leave, Korea.
That's why I'm bringing his body home. He did so want to come back again. A West Point friend wanted him buried at the Academy, but I asked David and I asked Gayle -- that's Bud's wife . . . or bride, I Guess -- and they both said, "No, Bud wanted to come home."
Gayle will come with him when he comes. They got married just before he shipped out. I've never met her, but it was she who broke the news to me, not the Army. Someone at the post in Fort Lewis -- that's in Washington -- told her. She called me right away. She tried to tell me gently, but you can't tell something like that any way but straight out.
I thought it was David's wife calling -- they live in Yakima, near Tacoma, where Bud was. It was midnight here and I'd been asleep. But when she said Bud's name, I knew. Joan was just coming in the door and I was standing there, I couldn't say a word, and then I fainted. Joan picked up the phone, and I guess I came to for I went into dad's room. I shouldn't have -- it doesn't do with heart trouble to break news like that suddenly, but I wasn't thinking. I just put my head down on his bed and cried. Poor dad, he had to take care of me that night.
I don't know what went on that next week. It was like I was in a daze. I got somebody in, or they came in, and ran the nursery school -- I put the school in the house six years ago when I had to get some work, but I couldn't leave home. I remember, though, one morning I realized I had to go on living -- that Bud would have wanted me to. Something he said once came back to me suddenly. It was when my sister died. It sounded almost hardhearted to me at the time. He told me not to worry: "A thing that's over with is in the past," he said, "don't look back. Go on."
I took over the nursery that morning, but I didn't last the morning. There's a little prayer we say, and I got as far as the line "God is good" and it stuck in my throat. I couldn't say it. You can't help but think at a time like that that God has let you down. I pulled myself together that night, though, and thought about things.
There's a prayer the cadets say at West Point that helped me back. It always made my heart turn over when I heard them say it. It wasn't just their country they were trained to fight for, but God too. "Encourage us in our endeavor to live above the common level of life," they said. "Make us to choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong and never be content with a half truth when the whole can be won."
Bud chose the harder right. He didn't want to go. He didn't want to leave Gayle. He didn't want to ship out -- he wanted to drive east, and home. But he went, and he went willingly and ready to do his best. He said it when he was on the ship.
He called it a fast scribble. They were going to land at Pusan the next day and he wanted me to know where he was. Wait. I'll read it to you.
"I will miss Gayle, " he wrote, "But now we are on our way, I am glad. That sounds like an Army man, doesn't it? But knowing me, you can see why I feel that way -- I like to get things done rather than wait for them to happen."
All his letters were like that. It was only twenty-two days after he left that he was killed. The last letter I got was just before he crossed the Naktong River and went into action at Yongsan. He wrote so clearly about what went on. I could see it all. I followed him on a map. He thought a lot of the men with him, and told me how brave they were. He especially admired the marines there -- "Braver than ordinary people," he said they were.
His last letter made me so happy -- for, of course, I didn't know it was his last. He was still two miles behind the front and it looked like he might be held there awhile, though he was itching to move up. He was very optimistic: "When we get across the river, we'll really roll -- and push these jokers right back to the 38th parallel." He talked about how it would be over soon, how he would come home, where he would be assigned next after the war, and he wound up, just as always, saying, "Don't worry about me."
I wish I knew what happened then. People say I'm wrong to want to know how he died, that I shouldn't think about it. Bud would have told me, though. He'd know I couldn't sleep nights, imagining trying to live it to the end with him.
People ask me if I am bitter or resentful. No, I am neither. I am resigned. It is the part of mothers always to be giving. Sometimes it is a little; other times it is much. Occasionally we are called on to give our most. My consolation for Bud's loss lies in my faith that he is now "home" -- in "the house of many mansions." I feel we shall meet him again there.
We had a flag ceremony in the school. I don't think the youngsters get enough these days about their flag and what it stands for. I was playing The Star-Spangled Banner for them to march to and they were singing it, as best they could, the way children do, when I suddenly thought, "This is for Bud," and my hands started trembling. "He died for his country, and for these children, and millions of other children."
"One of my friends, who knew Bud from the time he was little, wrote me something I'll never forget. It made me feel proud and humble, both.
"Comfort yourself," she said, "with the knowledge that with all his fine abilities and his good record, he was ours."
Yes, God was good to me, I thought, I had a fine son.

He was buried in 1951 at Green Hill Cemetery, Amsterdam, Montgomery Co., NY.

Milton Tucker DeVault

M, b. 2 April 1849, d. 24 January 1922

A day or two ago I received a notice that the regular monthly meeting of Nomad Oasis would be held this evening May 9th. 1922, at the Union Club rooms, and in addition a farewell entertainment would be tendered to myself as the youngest or baby Noble of this Oasis. It being on the eve of my departure for homeside in the southland of the U.S.A.
Nobles, I would be recreant to all that is good in human nature if I did not try, however feeble and inadequate my efforts may be, to let you know what a wonderful gracious thing you have done unto me. My heart is overflowing with grateful thanks for the courteous kindness you have extended to me. It is like the dews of Heaven that settled on Aaron and ran down his beard even to the skirts of his garment.
I was told by the Chairman of your entertainment committee, Noble Lee C. Solomon, that I would be expected to make a little talk, and that I should have liberty of thought and freedom of speech. And now if you will bear with me a moment, I would like to tell you where I was born and spent my early boyhood days, but in doing so I quote a little from another who has long since passed over.
A little over seventy-three years ago I was born in upper East Tennessee in Happy Valley on the Watauga River, which in the Indian tongue means beautiful river – and beautiful river it is.
I sported on its banks in sunny childhood and looking down into its crystal waters have seen the heavens reflecting as in a mirror, the moon and stars, and the great Milky Way. Looking across the valley I could see the mountain ranges, the Smokeys and the great Roane rearing their heavy heads amongst the clouds, and on whose summit the storm king delights to rest. I have seen him arouse as from slumber, shake himself and let loose the rumbling thunders, and have seen the lightning flash swifter then as eagle’s flight along the mountain side.
And again at day dawn I have seen the sun come forth over the mountain top and shed its light and warmth over the hills and valleys, bringing joy and gladness, love and hope to the people.
Amid these surroundings I spent my boyhood days, until the great Civil War broke over our fair land bringing its train of evil and bloodshed, arraying neighbor against neighbor, and brother against brother.
It was during the strife and horrors of this war that I caught my first glimpse, as a boy, of Masonry.
One day I was caught and became an unwilling witness at close quarters, of a battle between two opposing companies. I saw men shot down and heard their screams of agony above the roar of guns; I saw a soldier shot from his horse, wounded unto death; I saw him crawl across the road and try to pull himself up by the panels of a fence.
I heard him in his agony speaking strange words, and saw him make peculiar signs, and to my astonishment saw a white-headed man come out of a nearby house, run to the wounded soldier, and cover him with his old body, right in the midst of this awful strife, and at the imminent risk of his own life. Stranger still, the dying soldier wore the gray, and the old man who went to his relief was a Union man and in sympathy with the other side – I knew him as a neighbor. When the battle passed on and I was able to get back to my home, I told my father of the occurrence and asked him why Mr. Bradley would do such a wonderful deed. My father, with tears in his eyes, said, “My son, they were Masons.
Then and there I determined to become a Mason – do you wonder?
Masonry is a living thing comparable to a great, good man having eyes, ears, feet, hands, and above all a great heart.
Eyes to see the sign of distress; ears to hear the cry for help; feet to run swiftly to the relief of those in trouble; hands to sooth the fevered brow and relieve agony and distress; and a heart, a great throbbing heart, to feel for those who suffer, weep with the sorrowful, and rejoice with the happy.
That is the mission of masonry on this earth; it knows no religious creed except the brotherhood of man, and love which is charity.
Brothers, when you go out and mingle with the world, amidst its concerns and employments, forget not the tenants you have heard so often inculcated within the sacred precincts of the lodge. Remember that every human being has a claim on your kind office. Do good unto all, more especially to the household of the faithful.
Wherever you may go on this earth, North, South, East or West, around and across even to the farthest corners thereof, there a mason may be found, and as unbounded should a mason’s charity be.
Now sir Nobles, I have exercised liberty of speech, and have rambled around, nevertheless, I want you to know and believe that my heart is filled to overflowing with love for each and all of you. And now sirs, let me enjoin upon you in parting to keep ever in mind the insignia of your membership in the Mystic Shrine and what it stands for. Live up to it and so order your lives and conduct that when the Great Artificer of the Universe shall call you from the terrestrial lodge to the celestial shrine above, it may be said to you at the entrance, “You have been examined and found worthy – Enter, and don’t forget your Fez.”
I have done, and now turn you loose. Enjoy yourselves.

Milton Tucker DeVault was born on 2 April 1849 at Elizabethton, Carter Co., TN. He was the son of George Henry DeVault and Emily Seraphina Berry. Milton Tucker DeVault married Timmie Eugenia Cardwell, daughter of James Henry Cardwell and Hazel Sullins, on 28 May 1874 at Bristol Independent City, VA. Milton Tucker DeVault died on 24 January 1922 at on a train near, Chicago, Cook Co., IL, at age 72 REMEMBERING MILTON TUCKER DeVAULT

Milton Tucker DeVault, sailed from Seattle, Washington, after a visit of several days with his brother John J. DeVault, on the 16th day of September for Shanghai, China, and arrived there October 11, 1921, and after visiting his son Henry S. and daughter Emily, who are residents of Shanghai, for seven months, he sailed from Shanghai, on the 11th day of May 1922, after a very pleasant voyage of many days just before reaching San Francisco, Cal. on June 2nd he was taken seriously ill of heart trouble and when he landed June 4th had to be removed to the Mount Zion Hospital at No. 2200 Post Street, San Francisco, where he was met by his brother John J. DeVault, of Seattle, Washington, and much surprised to find him ill, as he had anticipated much pleasure from the meeting, but gave him every attention possible, and was with him for some days and it was thought he was improving and on the 12th day of June he returned to his home in Seattle. Wash. believing his brother would recover, and as D. Sullins DeVault, of Syracuse, N.Y. had arrived and was at the bedside of his father, giving every attention to his wants and needs, after a consultation with his Doctors it was thought best to remove him to his home in Syracuse, N.Y.
On the 21st day of June, 1922, the father, son and Nurse began the journey in a very comfortable Pulman Car and receiving the very best attention and seeming to be doing well, but when near Chicago, Ill. at about 3 o’clock A.M. Saturday June 24th he passed away.
At Chicago, his remains, in company of his son Sullins, began the long journey for Bristol, Virginia, where they arrived Monday June 26th at 1:20 P.M. and was taken to the home of Mr. & Mrs. E. S. Kendrick, his sister, 127 Solar Street, Bristol, Virginia, where his remains were viewed by a great many of his former associates and friends. The funeral service was conducted Tuesday June 27th at State Street M. E. Church South, at 11 o’clock A.M. where he was formerly a member and for a number of years a member of the official board, Dr. J. Watson, and Dr. D. S. Hearon, officiating.
Dr. Hearon referred to the fact that he had known Mr. DeVault, for a number of years and that when he came to Bristol, (then Goodson) Virginia, and later married and then occupied a brick dwelling on James Street, just opposite the home of Mr. DeVault, where the two families became the very best of friends, and that one evening Mrs. Hearon said she heard someone singing and she went to the door and listening for a short time said she recognized the voice of Robert L. Taylor, the later was Congressman, Governor, and later United States Senator of Tennessee, and that he and Mrs. Hearon went over to Mr. DeVault’s home and heard Mr. Taylor sing a number of songs and among them “Grandfather’s Clock.” Said he knew him as a member of State Street Church, as a member of the Board of Stewards also as a Trustee of Sullins College and that he performed the duties of these positions in an intelligent and satisfactory manner, giving freely of his time and means for the promotion of the best interest of his Church, City and State, and continued his interest in these enterprises, as shown by his always being connected with his church after leaving Bristol and the impression he made upon those he came in contact by being made on the Official Board in every church where he was connected, and he paid a high tribute to his life and character.
Doctor N. M. Watson, read from a letter written to his sister Mrs. E. S. Kendrick, dated January 29th 1920, “We, that is Father, Mother, I, you and John left Elizabethton, Tennessee about 2 o’clock on the morning of October 3rd 1865 with all of our worldly goods in two covered wagons and landed in Goodson, (now Bristol, Va.) about 2 o’clock that afternoon and by night had bought the Isaac Nickels house, (Blanch Nickels father.) on Main Street, (now State Street) the next door west of the old brick house we afterwards swapped for with old Mr. Ayelett, and which was our home until Ma went to live with you and you now own. It was probably a year after reaching Bristol that I became a member of the M. E. Church South the church being located on Lee Street just North of what is now the Virginia & Southwestern Railway and before I was married and made a steward in the church, (I married in May 1874) and was a steward from that time until I left Bristol for Baltimore, Md. in 1899. I and all of my family joined the Madison Avenue M. E. Church, South, Baltimore, Md. and I was soon elected a member of the official board of that church.
My transfer is now in progress to join Church Street M. E. Church South here in Knoxville, Tennessee.
To the best of my recollection my wife as Timmie E. Cardwell, joined the old church on Lee Street in 1873.
Our children were born, baptized and raised in the Bristol Church and three of the family were buried there all lying now in East Hill Cemetery, Hazel the first born, then Clyde, then my wife, this leaves Myself, Sullins, Henry and Emily, Sullins here with me, Henry and Emily in Shanghai, China.
I get very sad sometimes and miss the loved ones, but keep a cheerful exterior, and no matter what other or others may say – I am clear and sure that “I have kept the faith” “I have fought a good fight” and I have no fear.”
His remains were then conveyed to East Hill Cemetery and laid to rest in the family plot by loving hands to await the resurrection day.

Active pall bearers were Judge Joseph L. Kelly, Charles J. Harkrader, H. G. Lavinder, R. M. Crumley, Frank Miller, and A. B. Whiteaker; honorary pall bearers; Maj. A. D. Reynolds, Maj. W. G. Sheen, J. N. Huntsman, E. W. King, C. L. Sevier, Judge H. H. Haynes, Judge C. J. St. John, W. H. Fillinger, J. M. Barker, Sam L. King, and John H. Caldwell;
Flower bearers, Joe Pilo, H. E. Graves, W. L. Morely, Anson King, H. G. Peters, J. D. Taylor, George H. Davis, J. B. Lyon, A. F. Pepper, Gordon C. Faqua.


Word was received in Shanghai yesterday by Henry S. DeVault, of Haskins and Sells, of the death at New York City of his father Colonel Milton Tucker De Vault, who had been in Shanghai from October of last year until May 11, when he sailed for America. Colonel De Vault, who was born in Knoxville, Tenn., and served in the Confederate Army, celebrated his seventy-third birthday in Shanghai on April 2. He having been an extensive coal operator and financier, but had retired several years ago. He came to Shanghai to attend the wedding of his daughter, Mrs. V. A. Padon.

Note: The above death notice contains a number of factual errors: Milton Tucker DeVault was not born in Knoxville, he did not die in New York City and he probably did not serve in the Confederate Army. His daughter married B. A. Padon.

Children of Milton Tucker DeVault and Timmie Eugenia Cardwell

Myrtle Iva DeVault

F, b. 13 December 1895, d. 28 January 1929
     Myrtle Iva DeVault was born on 13 December 1895 at Palo Alto Co., IA. She was the daughter of James Monroe DeVault and Gertrude Letta Salyers. Myrtle Iva DeVault married Harry Jacob Kime, son of Mark John Kime and Eva Matilda Dietz, on 22 November 1914 at Indianola, Warren Co., IA. Myrtle Iva DeVault died on 28 January 1929 at Iowa at age 33. She was buried in 1929 at Norwalk Cemetery, Norwalk, Warren Co., IA, Findagrave #24685007.

Children of Myrtle Iva DeVault and Harry Jacob Kime

Naida C. DeVault

F, b. circa August 1915
     Naida C. DeVault was born circa August 1915 at Seattle, King Co., WA. She was the daughter of John Jacob DeVault and Minnie D. Gaedecke.

Nancy Louise DeVault

F, b. 2 May 1895, d. 2 March 1985
     Nancy Louise DeVault was born on 2 May 1895 at McDowell Co., NC. She was the daughter of Hugh Alexander Tate DeVault and Mary Alice Brown. Nancy Louise DeVault died on 2 March 1985 at Morganton, Burke Co., NC, at age 89. She was buried in March 1985 at Glen Alpine Methodist Church Cemetery, Glen Alpine, Burke Co., NC.

Did not marry.

Nancy Margaret DeVault

F, b. 1773, d. 2 September 1847
     Nancy Margaret DeVault was born in 1773 at Pennsylvania. She married John Henry Jones.
Note: Not a Henry DeWalt decendant. Nancy Margaret DeVault died on 2 September 1847 at Pennsylvania.

Children of Nancy Margaret DeVault and John Henry Jones


  1. [S1277] 1850 Federal Census, Sullivan County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 897.

Neil Augustus DeVault

M, b. May 1889, d. 1928
     Neil Augustus DeVault was born in May 1889 at Greene Co., TN.1 He was the son of John Augustus DeVault and Mary Eleanor McClellan. Neil Augustus DeVault died in 1928. He was buried in 1928 at River Hill United Methodist Church Cemetery, Greeneville, Greene Co., TN.


  1. [S1250] 1900 Federal Census, Greene County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T623, Roll 1573; FHL #1241573.

Nell Ruth DeVault

F, b. 1 July 1913, d. 22 November 1987
     Nell Ruth DeVault was born on 1 July 1913 at Shelbyville, Shelby Co. (probably), IN. She was the daughter of William Walker DeVault and Estella Mae Pence. Nell Ruth DeVault died on 22 November 1987 at Decatur Co., IN, at age 74 Dates per SSDI, last residence Westport.

Nellie K. DeVault1

F, b. 27 January 1874, d. 8 February 1898
     Nellie K. DeVault was born on 27 January 1874 at Washington Co., TN.1 She was the daughter of Valentine DeVault and Florence Allison. Nellie K. DeVault died on 8 February 1898 at Washington Co., TN, at age 24. She was buried in February 1898 at Allison-Boring-Hodges Cemetery, Oak Grove, Washington Co., TN, Find A Grave Memorial# 24617818.


  1. [S464] 1880 Federal Census, Washington County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA T9, Roll 1284; FHL #1255284.

Newland Alfred Devault

M, b. 11 February 1896, d. November 1976
     Newland Alfred Devault was born on 11 February 1896 at Farber, Audrain Co., MO. He was the son of Charles Alfred Davault and Susie S. Newland. Newland Alfred Devault was educated; Attended the University of Missouri and the University of Oklahoma. He married Florence Pearl Conner on 20 February 1926 at Chandler, Lincoln Co., OK.

Newland was using the DaVault spelling for his surname in 1926 when he married Florence Conner. He mentioned in one letter that his mother told him that his middle name was "Alfred" and his father told him that he didn't have a middle name. In the Oklahoma early marriage records he is listed as N. A. DaVault.

Newland conducted extensive research in the DeVault/DeWald genealogy, and eventually published a 287-page history and genealogy of the descendants of Henrich Dewald in 1975, a year before his death.

Newland Alfred Devault died in November 1976 at Banning, Riverside Co., CA, at age 80.

Child of Newland Alfred Devault and Florence Pearl Conner

Olive Ruth DeVault

F, b. 22 October 1929, d. 4 May 1984
     Olive Ruth DeVault was born on 22 October 1929 at Des Moines, Polk Co., IA. She was the daughter of Edward Monroe DeVault and Ethel Agnes Higens. Olive Ruth DeVault married Gilbert Junior Overlin, son of Gilbert Willard Overlin and Ethel Aleta Scott, on 13 January 1951 at Mitchellville, Polk Co., IA. Olive Ruth DeVault died on 4 May 1984 at Des Moines, Polk Co., IA, at age 54.

Orgie Milton DeVault1

M, b. 10 May 1878, d. 11 October 1934
     Orgie Milton DeVault was born on 10 May 1878 at Sullivan Co. (probably), TN.1 He was the son of John David DeVault and Nancy Melvina Hartness. Orgie Milton DeVault married Georgia Sprinkle Meredith, daughter of Truman Bullard Meredith and Ella Raider. Orgie Milton DeVault died on 11 October 1934 at Knoxville, Knox Co., TN, at age 56. He was buried in October 1934 at Rock Springs Cemetery, Rock Springs, Sullivan Co., TN.

Children of Orgie Milton DeVault and Georgia Sprinkle Meredith


  1. [S1256] 1880 Federal Census, Sullivan County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T9, Roll 1281; FHL #1255281.

Pearl Hazel DeVault

F, b. 22 April 1875, d. 23 June 1876
     Pearl Hazel DeVault was born on 22 April 1875 at Bristol Independent City, VA. She was the daughter of Milton Tucker DeVault and Timmie Eugenia Cardwell. Pearl Hazel DeVault died on 23 June 1876 at Bristol Independent City, VA, at age 1. She was buried in June 1876 at East Hill Cemetery, Bristol, Sullivan Co., TN.

Rachel Mary DeVault

F, b. 1821, d. 15 October 1900
     Rachel Mary DeVault was born in 1821 at Hanover, York Co., PA. She was the daughter of Jacob Davault and Rachel Dorothy Kitzmiller. Rachel Mary DeVault married Thomas Hyder Hunt, son of Henson Hunt and Mary Pope, on 28 October 1837 at Washington Co., TN. Rachel Mary DeVault died on 15 October 1900 at Kansas City, Jackson Co., MO. She was buried in October 1900 at Reader Cemetery, 4 miles NE of Chesterfield, Macoupin Co., IL, according to Newland DeVault, but Tracy DeVault says he visited this cemetery and there is no evidence that Rachel (DeVault) Hunt was buried there, despite the stone for her husband and son James which is there.
Note: Remarks by William Bruce Gillmore:

Grandmother, Rachael DeVault Hunt, was about eight years old when her mother died and her sister, Susan was a year younger. Their father did not marry Elizabeth Scott until about 1835. During the years that he was a widower, the little girls spent much time at the home of Warrington and their sister, Maria Catharina (DeVault) Hunt. Their father complained that at home there were only the slave children with whom they could play. At sister Maria Catharina's there was their cousin, Louisa Ann Eliza (Lou) to play with, and no doubt the little girls fared better there than they would at home where they would be cared for by the slaves.

It was here with Warrington and sister Kate that Grandmother learned to spin, weave and sew, also to tailor men's clothing, an art that her sister had learned from her DeVault ancestors. Also it was here that Rachal met and married Warrington's brother, Thomas Hyder Hunt, when she was sixteen years old.

Rachel and Susan were always very close, and I was grown before I knew that Grandmother had other sisters and brothers. Apparently, she did not get to know her step-mother very well. I can recall no stories concerning her, but I never heard an unkind word about Elizabeth. She seems to have been a quiet, retiring woman who busied herself with her household, and had little time for visiting.

In 1850, Thomas Hyder Hunt took his family and with a number of relatives and friends, went by covered wagon to Illinois. It was quite a caravan, a dozen or more wagons. Mother was six years old and remembered many incidents of the long journey.

At that time the economy of Tennessee was based upon slave labor, and slaves were expensive, costing from $500.00 to $1500.00. My mother remembered a wedding at which the father presented the bride with a slave girl, and the tale was that it was a $500.00 present. Under such conditions, a poor man who had to buy land and slaves had a hard time getting ahead. Illinois offered better opportunities. Land was cheap and a man and his family did the work and every one was on the same footing.

In the party making the trip were Grandmother's brother, Michael DeVault, and her sister Susan (DeVault) Duncan and their families. Thomas Hyder Hunt's sister, Elizabeth (Hunt) Peugh and family were also in the caravan, and there may have been other relatives. There were also many friends who went along.

They settled in Macoupin County, Western Mound Township, where the family of Thomas Hyder Hunt lived until 1869, when they migrated to Barton County, Missouri. Near here, in the Reader Cemetery four miles north and a little east of Chesterfield, Thomas Hyder Hunt and his son James were buried and in 1900 Rachel Hunt was taken to lie beside them.

Some time after 1860, Michael DeVault and family moved to Pike County and Joseph and Susan (DeVault) Duncan with their family moved to Macon County.

When Jacob Hunt came home from the war in 1865, at the age of 22, he found himself the head of the family, his father and older brothers having died. Mary Emily and Louise were young ladies, but Belvia, Eliza, Bruce and Julia were children.

The family had suffered reverses. The oldest son, James, and the father had died. The boys who were old enough to farm had been drafted, probably because they were southerners, and the widow and the children left to do the best they could. Taxes and interest went unpaid while Henson and Jacob were in the army. So Jacob gave up the farm and went to Pike County and settled near Pittsfield near his Uncle Michael DeVault. They lived there until 1869. It was there that Mary Emily Hunt married Ephraim B. Gillmore.

In 1871, Jacob rented the Stephens farm. It was one mile square, 640 acres, with plenty of running water, some woods, and pasture land and fertile fields. By now Bruce was old enough to make a hand in the field. The farm is one half mile west of Kenoma, Missouri. Later the Ft. Scott and Memphis railroad crossed the farm near the house. They were six miles south and east of Lamar.

It was here that Louise was twice married; first to Oscar Hannah, and after his death, to Frank Barrett, who was a civil engineer on the construction of the new railroad. Here also, Belva married Reason Burr, and Eliza married John Lindsey.

After some sixteen years on the farm, Jacob had a sale and went to Lamar and opened a bank, and later engaged in other business activities until about 1890, when he and Bruce moved to Bates County and located near Adrain. A few years later they went to Indian Territory and prospered. Jacob lived for many years at Alex, Oklahoma where he died. For a few years, Bruce farmed near DeRider, Louisiana and later moved to Jackson County, Missouri. There he, Alice and their daughter, Mildred died.

This brief story would be incomplete without mentioning Walter Howey (born October 4, 1873, married Effie Hampton, December 1, 1901 and died June 12, 1954), a boy whom Jacob raised, and who grew up as one of our cousins. Walter and his younger brother, Edward, lost both of their parents at about the same time by pneumonia when Walter was about four years old. An improvident neighbor family by the name of Denham was caring for the little boys, and appealed to the authorities for relief. The county authorities, being unable to locate any relatives of the little boys, were looking for homes for them. Jacob agreed to take Walter, but as he was a bachelor, refused to adopt the child. Edward was adopted by a family by the name of Sharp. Mrs. Sharp was a sister to Celestia Stuart Peugh, and lived west of Lamar. So the little boys were almost in the same family, and grew up knowing each other. These boys never gave their foster parents any grief, and grew up to be fine men. In Bates County, when Walter became twenty-one, Jacob helped him get started farming. He went to the Indian Territory with them. There he married and later settled in Missouri, nine miles west of Jasper City. He raised a fine family of six children, and they were all doing well when last I visited them in 1928.

Children of Rachel Mary DeVault and Thomas Hyder Hunt

Rachel Sophia DeVault

F, b. 20 December 1865, d. 13 April 1951
     Rachel Sophia DeVault was born on 20 December 1865 at Glen Alpine, Burke Co., NC, 1900 census shows birth year 1866. She was the daughter of Jacob A. DeVault and Mary Ann Alexander. Rachel Sophia DeVault married Marshall Rankin McLean, son of James McLean and Isabelle Catherine DeVault, on 18 September 1890.
Note: It was said that Sophia once killed a mountain lion with a gun. When an article appeared in the local paper, describing the incident, future husband Marshall Rankin McLean wrote to her. This correspondance eventually led to their marriage.

Although she lost two sons to airplane crashes, she was a frequent passenger until her health prevented it. Rachel Sophia DeVault died on 13 April 1951 at Gibsonville, Guilford Co., NC, at age 85. She was buried in April 1951 at Friedens Lutheran Church Cemetery, Gibsonville, Guilford Co., NC.

Children of Rachel Sophia DeVault and Marshall Rankin McLean

Ralph Earl DeVault

M, b. 11 December 1920, d. 15 February 1987
     Ralph Earl DeVault was born on 11 December 1920 at Shelbyville, Shelby Co. (probably), IN. He was the son of William Walker DeVault and Estella Mae Pence. Ralph Earl DeVault married Mary Elizabeth Miller, daughter of Leslie Thomas Miller and Anna Elizabeth McBee, on 13 April 1940 at Marion Co., IN, Mary later married William Koopman. Ralph Earl DeVault married Hazel Irene DeBaun, daughter of Charles E. DeBaun and Minnie E. Schonfield, in 1942. Ralph Earl DeVault died on 15 February 1987 at Indianapolis, Marion Co., IN, at age 66

OBITUARY - The Indianapolis Star; Indianapolis, Indiana; Tuesday, February 17, 1987; Page 31

Ralph E. DeVault
Shelbyville, Ind. -- Services for Ralph E. DeVault, 66, a lifelong Shelby County resident, will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday in Ewing Mortuary, Shelbyville, with calling from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. today. He died Sunday in Community Hospital. He had been an engineer for TriState Construction Co. 30 years, retiring in 1979. He was a World War II Army veteran and a member of Brookfield Baptist Church, Shelbyville Masonic Lodge 28, York Rite, Scottish Rite and Murat Temple. Memorial contributions may be made to the St. Vincent Hospital Outpatient Dialysis Center. Survivors: wife, Hazel I. DeBaun DeVault; daughters, Tessa Pursley, Lana Reinhart, Donna Smith and Terry Whicker; sisters, Betty Lamb, Nell Anderson, Harriet Kiplinger and Melvina Brinkley; brothers, Roy, Fred and Harry DeVault; seven grandchildren.

He was buried in February 1987 at Winchester Cemetery, Shelby Co., IN.
Note: Ralph and Hazel DeVault appear to have raised four children of Dale and Emma (Utsler) Cole after the death of their mother in 1953. The foster arrangement may or may not have been legally documented.

Child of Ralph Earl DeVault and Mary Elizabeth Miller

Child of Ralph Earl DeVault and Hazel Irene DeBaun

Ralph Morton DeVault

M, b. 1908, d. 27 March 1936
     Ralph Morton DeVault was born in 1908 at Tennessee. He was the son of Orgie Milton DeVault and Georgia Sprinkle Meredith. Ralph Morton DeVault married Helen Cecil Parham on 4 January 1935 at Kingsport, Sullivan Co., TN, no children. Ralph Morton DeVault died on 27 March 1936 at Kingsport, Sullivan Co., TN. He was buried in 1936 at Oak Hill Memorial Park, Kingsport, Sullivan Co., TN, Findagrave #84972500.

Ralph Pulliam DeVault

M, b. 12 December 1879, d. 11 November 1968
     Ralph Pulliam DeVault was born on 12 December 1879 at Asheville, Buncombe Co., NC. He was the son of Charles Wesley DeVault and Laura L. Pulliam. Ralph Pulliam DeVault married Ruth C. Tenney, daughter of George C. Tenney and Elsie L. Shepard, on 26 June 1911 at Battle Creek, Calhoun Co., MI. Occupation: Motion picture engineer in April 1930.1 Ralph Pulliam DeVault lived on 12 April 1930 at Villa Park, DuPage Co., IL.1
Note: During the depression Ralph came to California and tried to invent something that people could buy "without too much money." He invented the potato peeler, patented as the "DeVault" potato peeler, which can still be bought today.

He died on 11 November 1968 at Malibu, Los Angeles Co., CA, at age 88.

Children of Ralph Pulliam DeVault and Ruth C. Tenney


  1. [S224] 1930 Federal Census, DuPage County, Illinois. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T626, Rolls 511 & 512; FHL #2340246-7.

Raymond Otto DeVault

M, b. 15 June 1925, d. 27 October 1932
     Raymond Otto DeVault was born on 15 June 1925 at Piatt Co., IL. He was the son of Julius Raymond DeVault and Hattie Mae James. Raymond Otto DeVault died on 27 October 1932 at Willow Branch, Piatt Co., IL, at age 7. He was buried in October 1932 at Robison Cemetery, Piatt Co., IL, Findagrave #49462575.

Reece David DeVault1

M, b. 13 November 1875, d. 1 February 1929
     Reece David DeVault was born on 13 November 1875 at Sullivan Co., TN.1 He was the son of John David DeVault and Nancy Melvina Hartness. Reece David DeVault married Sarah F. Boyer, daughter of Charles Boyer and Judith (?), between 1920 and 1929, no children to this marriage. Reece David DeVault died on 1 February 1929 at Kingsport, Sullivan Co., TN, at age 53 Death Notice - The Kingsport Times, Kingsport, Sullivan Co, Tennessee, February 1, 1929:

Resident of Rock Springs Dies at Local Hospital Following Brief Illness
Reece Devault, aged 52 of Rock Springs, and an uncle of Milton Devault, manager of Holston Coal Co., died in a local hospital this morning at 10 o'clock, following a brief illness. Mr. Devault was widely known in the Rock Springs district, having lived there for a number of years.
He is survived by his wife, mother, Mrs. Melvina Devault, four brothers; J. C. Devault, of Rock Springs, J. G. Devault, of Emory, Va., W. W. Devault of London, Ind., and O. M. Devault of Fairland, Ind. O. M. Devault is the father of Milton, Morton and Charlton Devault of this city.
Funeral services will be conducted from the Rock Springs church at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon.

OBITUARY - The Kingsport Times, Kingsport, Sullivan Co., Tennessee, February 3, 1929

Services Will Be Held at Rock Springs Church this Morning at 10 o'clock
Funeral services for Reece Devault, age 52 who died in a local hospital Friday following a brief illness, will be conducted from the Rock Springs Church this morning at 10:00 o'clock. Interment will follow in the cemetery near Rock Springs.
Mr. Devault is an uncle of Milton Devault, manager of the Holston Coal Co., Chaunce, high school boy and Morton, a student at Emory and Henry College, all of this city.
He is survived by his wife, mother, Mrs. Melvina Devault, four brothers, J. C. Devault, of Rock Springs, J. G. Devault of Emory, Va., W. W. Devault of London, Ind., and O. M. Devault of Fairland, Ind. O. M. Devault is the father of Milton, Morton and Charlton Devault of this city.

Cause of death: diabetes mellitis. He was buried in February 1929 at Rock Springs Cemetery, Rock Springs, Sullivan Co., TN.


  1. [S1256] 1880 Federal Census, Sullivan County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T9, Roll 1281; FHL #1255281.

Richard Eugene DeVault

M, b. 30 December 1939, d. 10 September 1995
     Richard Eugene DeVault was born on 30 December 1939 at Little River, Rice Co., KS.1 He was the son of Elmer Keith DeVault and Edna Louise Hylton. Richard Eugene DeVault married Linda Louise Cole on 12 November 1961 at Burley, Cassia Co., ID; Linda remarried to Gordon Grundman on 14 APR 1985. Richard Eugene DeVault and Linda Louise Cole were divorced before April 1985. Richard Eugene DeVault died on 10 September 1995 at Lewis & Clark Co., MT, at age 55

Obituary -- The Independent-Record, Helena, Montana; Wednesday, 20 SEP 1995, p.7 (

Richard DeVault

Richard Eugene DeVault, 55, of 520 Logan No. 116, died Sept. 10, 1995, in West Yellowstone.

He was a friend to many at Sunset Capital Apartments and Montana House.

Survivors include his mother Edna DeVault of San Diego, Calif; his brother Larry K. DeVault of Eau Claire, Wis; two daughters, Shawna Openhimer and Tessie Berry, both of El Cajone (sic), Calif.

A memorial service will be held today at 1 p.m. at the Montana House.


  1. [S5301] 1940 Federal Census, Rice County, Kansas. Microfilm Image, NARA Series T627, Roll 1255.

Richard Irvin DeVault

M, b. 30 October 1945, d. 27 January 2005
     Richard Irvin DeVault was born on 30 October 1945 at Hutchinson, Reno Co., KS. He was the son of Leland Tasaway DeVault and Ona Mae Wiard. Richard Irvin DeVault began military service Vietnam War, MSgt., U.S. Air Force. He died on 27 January 2005 at Ft. Worth, Tarrant Co., TX, at age 59. He was buried in 2005 at Dallas - Ft. Worth National Cemetery, Dallas, Dallas Co., TX.

Richard Johnson DeVault

M, b. 7 July 1849, d. 24 April 1891
     Richard Johnson DeVault was also known as "Dick". He was born on 7 July 1849 at DeVault's Ford, Washington Co., TN.1 He was the son of Isaac DeVault and Mary Elizabeth Hannah. Richard Johnson DeVault married Martha Emmons, daughter of William T. Emmons and Hannah M. West. Richard Johnson DeVault died on 24 April 1891 at Mt. Airy, Surry Co., NC, at age 41.

Child of Richard Johnson DeVault and Martha Emmons


  1. [S467] 1850 Federal Census, Washington County, Tennessee. Microfilm Image, NARA Series M432, Roll 898.

Riley DeVault

M, b. 26 January 1904, d. 26 January 1904
     Riley DeVault died on 26 January 1904 at Twelve miles north of Jet, Alfalfa Co., OK. He was born on 26 January 1904 at Twelve miles north of Jet, Alfalfa Co., OK. He was the son of Samuel Henry DeVault and Margaret Angeline Shutt. Riley DeVault was buried in January 1904 at Union Valley Cemetery (aka Ware Cemetery), Alfalfa Co., OK.

Robert Burns DeVault

M, b. 7 July 1871, d. 27 December 1896
     Robert Burns DeVault was born on 7 July 1871. He was the son of John DaVault and Mary C. Carmack. Robert Burns DeVault died on 27 December 1896 at age 25.

Robert Drew DeVault

M, b. 9 May 1869, d. 2 March 1947
     Robert Drew DeVault was born on 9 May 1869 at DeVault's Ford, Washington Co., TN. He was the son of Valentine DeVault and Edna Anne Hannah. Robert Drew DeVault was educated between 1885 and 1886 at Milligan College, Milligan College, Carter Co., TN. He married Osceola Walton, daughter of Elijah Powell Walton and Arrispa Gaines Jewell, on 4 June 1904 at Salem, Roanoke Co., VA. Robert Drew DeVault married Kathryn France after April 1930. Robert Drew DeVault lived at Johnson City, Washington Co., TN, Operated a dry goods store in Johnson City during the 1920s and 1930s. He died on 2 March 1947 at Johnson City, Washington Co., TN, at age 77

Newspaper article by Patty Smithdeal Fulton -- Johnson City Press, Johnson City, Tennessee, 20 MAR 2011:

If these walls could talk: History of East Unaka home

Robert DeVault, member of a prominent pioneer family in the area, built the house at 501 East Unaka Ave. [Johnson City, Tennessee] that his wife, Osceola Walton DeVault, designed.

It was her dream home, a spacious square brick built like a fortress of quality materials. Unaka Avenue was a quiet, tree-lined street and the DeVault home was surrounded by formal gardens, which gradually blended into an expanse of land through which a creek meandered, providing water for the family cow in the fenced pasture just below the vegetable garden.

This was the ideal setting for the young couple to begin the large family both desired. The original plans featured a nursery at the back of the house, adjoining the master bedroom. However, with the passage of time, it was apparent the DeVaults were unable to have children. Adoption laws as we know them did not exist in the 1920s. Mrs. DeVault made it known throughout the community that she wanted to help with the placement of orphaned children.

Mr. and Mrs. Joe Summers’ son was adopted from the nursery at 501 East Unaka. The handsome young daredevil was a pilot during World War II who was killed while fighting the Germans. The entire town mourned the death of Joe-Joe Summers.

And there were others, many unknown, but one was a bright young red-haired lady who was an excellent bridge player, mother of several children, and a good wife to her husband, a banker of extraordinary character. Hope Lewis was in the prime of life when she died.

Dr. Hugh Swingle, a prominent local physician whose family lived down the street on the next corner, told me his sister came from the DeVault nursery. His mother became attracted to the infant during one of her visits with Mrs. DeVault and decided to take the baby home for the weekend. She never took her back.

And there was Joyce, the baby girl who was passed over time and time again because she was so ugly. Pretty babies came and pretty babies went and Joyce stayed. When Mrs. DeVault became ill and died on Christmas Eve 1928, at age 45, Joyce was 7 years old. The following year, when the crash of 1929 shattered the economy of the nation, Robert DeVault faced the Great Depression with indebtedness, loneliness, a big house to care for and little Joyce. Fortunately, in time, Robert met, wooed and married Kathryn France, an attractive lady who spoke the smooth, soft language of her native South Carolina. She had the invisible stamina and determination that is so characteristic of many southern ladies — attributes that are elusive because they are handled with such grace.

For their honeymoon, Bob DeVault brought Kathryn to her new home in Johnson City where she set out to clean the dirty house by washing the more than 50 windows and the lace curtains which she stretched, piece by piece, increasingly aware that there were two pieces of curtain to each window. Each piece was carefully soaked, washed, rinsed and attached to adjustable wooden frames by slipping sharp needle-like nails through the delicate lace border of the curtain, pulling until the curtain was taunt and straight. Left to dry in the sun, more than 100 pieces were retrieved from the curtain stretcher and hung at the windows. Kathryn waxed miles of hardwood floors, polished oak woodwork, washed plastered walls and worked herself into a state of exhaustion.

Robert raised cash by selling the land where the family had planted a vegetable garden to Harry Dosser, an owner of Dosser’s Department Store. The red brick Dosser house was soon constructed next door to the DeVault home.

Kathryn had secretarial skills and took a job in the admitting office of the Mountain Home Veterans Affairs Hospital. She told me of Robert’s depression, his failing health, and the embarrassment, which she felt contributed to his depression, because his wife was working to support him. In those days a man was judged by the standard of living he provided for his family and the wife seldom worked outside the hom

In order to increase the family income, Kathryn added a bath on the landing at the top of the back stairway and made an apartment across the back of the house where the nursery had been located. Although the apartment rented readily (Carl and Kathryn Jones lived there when they moved to Johnson City as newlyweds), it became apparent the family would have to make additional changes. Kathryn persuaded Robert to sell the big house, which they could no longer afford to maintain.

The Couch family bought the house and Kathryn designed a modest white frame duplex she and Robert built on the lot beside the Dosser home, the land where the cow had grazed. Robert, Kathryn and Joyce lived in the two-bedroom unit; the one-bedroom apartment provided incom

Robert died in 1947. Joyce, the little girl nobody wanted, became a nurse, married and moved to another state.

In 1959, my husband, Dr.Lyman Fulton, admitted Kathryn to Memorial Hospital to evaluate some persistent digestive problems. After studying various test results, Lyman called Joyce DeVault Kropff to tell her Kathryn had pancreatic cancer. The ugly little girl nobody wanted to adopt traveled to Johnson City and assumed the role of nurse and daughter. Joyce stayed at the bedside of 66-year-old Kathryn throughout her illness and was with her when she died. Two and one half years later, in 1962, Joyce died of cancer. She was 41.

At the top of a gentle hill at Monte Vista Cemetery, there is a sturdy maple tree with large extended limbs, spreading shade over four graves. Standing at the grave of Oceola DeVault, there is a life-size marble statue of a woman wearing a softly draped gown, holding a child in her arms. The inscription reads, “She did what she could for God’s little ones.” Joyce lies beside her.

He was buried in March 1947 at Monte Vista Memorial Park, Johnson City, Washington Co., TN, Findagrave #108904477.

Children of Robert Drew DeVault and Osceola Walton

Robert Franklin DeVault

M, b. 8 November 1863, d. 31 July 1946
     Robert Franklin DeVault was born on 8 November 1863 at Glen Alpine, Burke Co., NC. He was the son of Jacob A. DeVault and Mary Ann Alexander. Occupation: carpenter, coffin maker, and general farm laborer at Burke Co., NC. Robert Franklin DeVault died on 31 July 1946 at Burke Co., NC, at age 82. He was buried in August 1946 at Glen Alpine Methodist Church Cemetery, Glen Alpine, Burke Co., NC.
Note: Did not marry.

Robert Lee DeVault

M, b. 29 December 1927, d. 20 September 2011
     Robert Lee DeVault was also known as "Bob". He was born on 29 December 1927 at Oreana, Macon Co., IL. He was the son of Julius Raymond DeVault and Hattie Mae James. Robert Lee DeVault began military service Korean War, U.S. Army. He married Shirley Ann Jackson on 29 May 1953 at Havana, Mason Co., IL. Robert Lee DeVault lived in 1987 at Farmer City, DeWitt Co., IL. He died on 20 September 2011 at Le Roy, McLean Co., IL, at age 83 Obituary (

FARMER CITY — Robert Lee "Bob" DeVault Sr., 83, Farmer City, passed away at 7:27 a.m. Tuesday (Sept. 20, 2011) at LeRoy Manor, LeRoy.

His funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Calvert-Belangee-Bruce Funeral Home, Farmer City, with the Rev. Andy Baker officiating. Burial will be in Maple Grove Cemetery, Farmer City, with military rites accorded. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today at the funeral home. Memorials may be made to a charity of the donor's choice.

Bob was born Dec. 29, 1927, at Oreana, a son of Julius Raymond and Hattie May James DeVault. He married Shirley Ann Jackson on May 29, 1953, in Havana.

He is survived by his wife, Shirley A. DeVault, Farmer City; son, Robert L. (Debbie) DeVault Jr., Ogden; two daughters, Donna (Dana) Evans, Farmer City, and Carol A. (Eric) Kersey, Fisher; grandchildren, Brittany Louise Chrysler Evans, Brett A. Kersey, Quinten (Cynthia) DeVault and Sarah DeVault; great-grandchildren, Lexi Williams, Jason Jackson and Jashawna Jackson; and brother, Frank (Irene) DeVault, Bloomington.

He was preceded in death by his parents, four brothers and four sisters.

Bob had worked at the DeWitt County Co-op in Clinton for many years. He was an Army veteran of the Korean conflict. He was a life member of Joe Williams American Legion Post 55 and life member of Fred G. O'Malley Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6190, both of Farmer City.

He was buried in September 2011 at Maple Grove Cemetery, Farmer City, DeWitt Co., IL, Findagrave #76900014.

Rev. Robert Martin DeVault

M, b. 1 November 1886, d. 16 December 1928
     Note: Robert Martin DeVault was converted at nine years of age; joined the Buffalo Ridge Baptist Church; and ordained as preacher there. Graduated Carson-Newman College, 1910; Newton Theological Institution, Boston, 1914. He was ordained in the old Buffalo Ridge Baptist Church while his father, Frederick W. DeVault, was a minister of that church (1905-1910). He was a fine violinist.

In 1914 Robert married his college sweetheart, Bess Moulton, daughter of Amos Rogan Moulton II and Clara Levica Hurlbert, Fall Branch, Tennessee. The wedding ceremony was performed at the Moulton home, 12 noon, by Dr. J. J. Burnett, president of Carson-Newman College. Following a honeymoon by horse and buggy, they lived in Greeneville, where he was pastor of First Baptist Church. Other pastorates: French Broad near Dandridge, Butler and surrounding churches (1921 to 1928). Raised funds for paying debts of Watauga Academy and Baptist High School, Butler. All five of their children graduated there: Robert, Dorothy, Doris, Leonard, Edwin.

After Robert's death in 1928, Bess taught piano at Watauga Academy and was principal-teacher of grammar school, Butler. She was a woman of strong Christian faith, integrity, wisdon and courage; a loving, sacrificial mother who worked hard to provide a college education for her five children. In 1941 she moved back to her childhood home in Fall Branch. Bess and Robert Martin DeVault were buried at Gray.

Rev. Robert Martin DeVault was born on 1 November 1886 at Jonesborough, Washington Co., TN. He was the son of Frederick William DeVault and Laura Adelaide Martin. Rev. Robert Martin DeVault was educated at Carson-Newman College and Newton Theological Institution, Boston, Suffolk Co., MA. He married Bess Telete Moulten, daughter of Amos Rogan Moulten and Clara Levica Hurlbert, on 22 October 1914 at the home of the bride, Fall Branch, Washington Co., TN, ceremony by Dr. J. J. Burnett, President of Carson-Newman College. Occupation: Baptist minister. Rev. Robert Martin DeVault died on 16 December 1928 at Johnson City, Washington Co., TN, at age 42. He was buried in December 1928 at Buffalo Ridge Church Cemetery, Gray's Station, Washington Co., TN.

Children of Rev. Robert Martin DeVault and Bess Telete Moulten

Robert Moulton DeVault

M, b. 1 August 1915, d. October 1985
     Robert Moulton DeVault was born on 1 August 1915. He was the son of Rev. Robert Martin DeVault and Bess Telete Moulten. Robert Moulton DeVault was graduated; Furman University and University of Tennessee. He began military service U. S. Army Air Corps. Occupation: He retired in 1984, completing fifty years as a teacher and coach at Watauga Academy, Elizabethton, Kingsport, Winston-Salem. Received the Roy N. Anderson Award for outstanding contributions to education. He died in October 1985 at Winston-Salem, Forsythe Co., NC, at age 70.